acrylic jigs?

ResidentEvil

I have a good amount of 1/2" acrylic from a large aquarium that I couldn't salvage and cut down for material.

I was wondering if there would be any issue with using it for jigs, mainly for the TS.  I was thinking about making a new miter sled for picture frames, and another smaller crosscut sled.

I guess the question is whether it would be good to use the acrylic for the bases and maybe runners for these sleds, or if there was an issue (expansion, warping, etc) that I was unaware of.  I have MDF on hand to make the bases (obviously wouldn't use for the runners) if that works better, but wasn't sure which material would be the most stable over the longer term.

Thanks in advance.

I don't believe that acrylic has expansion and contraction problems!  If it did, they couldn't use it in places like window's. I'd definitely use it for jigs of all sort, if I had it.  I'm using some melamine covered mdf for jigs, I just  put a couple of coats of thinned TB2 on the open ends to try to cut down on the moisture absorption, something you wouldn't need to do with acrylic, it's a very stable man made product..... Use it ! 

I made some guarding with it for work one time and did not drill and tap it properly so that when I put it on the machine I could watch the cracks spreading and it fell apart.  Then I got some poly carbonate and did it better.  Not that it will nessacarily cause you problems but pointing out that it is more prone to crack propagation than some plastics and that should be a concern when cutting and drilling it.

• Like 1

Acrylic for jigs is fine. If you are routing slots in it make sure you buy the correct router bit as ones for woodworking will not work and you will melt the plastic. Same goes for drill bits. The cut angles are different for acrylic and you have to buy special drill bits.

And the same goes for blades. I've used a fine tooth bandsaw blade intended for metal sheet quite successfully on acrylic.

Poly carbonate or lexan sheeting is best for guards.

Your aquarium acrylic is going to be cell cast acrylic. It does expand and contract a bit but its easy to work with using standard woodworking tools. Most acrylic that folks get or use is extruded acrylic, its not as strong and crazes easily. Cell cast is actually the good stuff but cost double the money of extruded.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a good amount of 1/2" acrylic from a large aquarium that I couldn't salvage and cut down for material.

I was wondering if there would be any issue with using it for jigs, mainly for the TS.  I was thinking about making a new miter sled for picture frames, and another smaller crosscut sled.

I guess the question is whether it would be good to use the acrylic for the bases and maybe runners for these sleds, or if there was an issue (expansion, warping, etc) that I was unaware of.  I have MDF on hand to make the bases (obviously wouldn't use for the runners) if that works better, but wasn't sure which material would be the most stable over the longer term.

Thanks in advance.

Pat Warner has probably forgotten more about routing than most of us will ever know, he makes his bases and jigs in acrylic. I have several of his products and can vouch for them in both stability and durability.

To answer your question, I don't see any issues with using acrylic for either the base or runners. It's 'way more stable than MDF.

HTH,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...