New Square from Woodpeckers

Ok, so there are some pretty sexy red aluminum tools out there.  Of which I own none.  I feel like this is  really neat tool, but can't see a triple digit price tag for something that makes perfectly coplanar lines.  I mean my table saw will ignore the 1/64th" variance between my pencil lines when it rides along the fence, miter gauge, or sled, right?

http://www.woodpeck.com/straddlesquare15-WG.html

I think that straddle square is a nice to have item but not necessary to have tool. Personally I think it's money best spent elsewhere. I own a few woodpeckers items, 1' and 3' scale/center rule straight edge, 26" framing square (pending shipment), and a carpenters square. They all serve a good purpose and are more versatile. 

I mean my table saw will ignore the 1/64th" variance between my pencil lines when it rides along the fence, miter gauge, or sled, right?

This is my gripe with marking in general. So many go through the trouble of marking and then cut on a machine. Much easier to just adjust the machine and cut away, the machine doesn't care about your pencil marks. For the most part there is very little need for all the fancy squares and gizmos in woodworking with machines.

• Like 2

I consider Woodpeckers to be an outstanding US company.  I own a Woodpeckers router table...very happy with it. 

However, the Straddle Squares seem very expensive for what they do.  No way I would spend $120 for line drawing.

Suppose I should clarify, I don't any of their tools yet. They seem to be a great supplier, and supporting domestic production is important!

Still no to this square though...

I agree with PB, this isn't really needed  for power tool work at all. Even in hand tool work, it's a very specialized use case.

If you want some red, pick up some of the following.

the set - http://www.woodpeck.com/triangles.html#1014

the 12" - http://www.woodpeck.com/beveltriangles.html#1856

the 36" - http://www.woodpeck.com/serx36.html#1499

They have all come in very hand in my shop, and are realistically priced.

Stamped steel rule? For measuring flatness across a surface I wouldn't trust it to be overly accurate for straight edge work. Then again, in woodworking we tend to over complicate the process with most things we buy, and ask for things within .001" when in reality wood swells more than that the minute you cut an edge.

• Like 1

Stamped steel rule? For measuring flatness across a surface I wouldn't trust it to be overly accurate for straight edge work. Then again, in woodworking we tend to over complicate the process with most things we buy, and ask for things within .001" when in reality wood swells more than that the minute you cut an edge.

I think most would be truly surprised at how accurate a cheap ass tool can be. Any real machine shop can check these things and most wont charge you a dime.

The 3' Woodworking Rule is the same level of straightness as the SERX and has a center scale on 1 side and a standard imperial scale on the other side. It's also cheaper.

can you stand it on it's side though, or do you constantly need to hold it up?

Then again, in woodworking we tend to over complicate the process with most things we buy, and ask for things within .001" when in reality wood swells more than that the minute you cut an edge.

It's nice to have it that accurate for machine setup and inspection though.

I think most would be truly surprised at how accurate a cheap ass tool can be. Any real machine shop can check these things and most wont charge you a dime.

I have a metal Empire square that is flat and straight as could be. I spent maybe 12 bucks on it. In my experience stamped steel rules has been something a bit different. Usually the indented markings for measurement create little ridges on the edge of the ruler. 

I have a metal Empire square that is flat and straight as could be. I spent maybe 12 bucks on it. In my experience stamped steel rules has been something a bit different. Usually the indented markings for measurement create little ridges on the edge of the ruler. 

Thats real important when your making jet engines but a waste of time worrying about in a wood shop.