Cyclone efficiency

I don't think anyone has brought up the fact that if you have even the slightest leak in the cyclone or drum, what you are experiencing will happen. Are you certain there are no leaks at all there?

The design of the cyclone is also a factor, but there's not much you can do about that now. There's also a certain CFM you need to have that dust be pulled out of the airstream. I am betting you need ~900 CFM entering the cyclone to separate well (but that's a total guess). Do you have a 6" pip that goes all the way to the sander?

I don't think anyone has brought up the fact that if you have even the slightest leak in the cyclone or drum, what you are experiencing will happen. Are you certain there are no leaks at all there?

The design of the cyclone is also a factor, but there's not much you can do about that now. There's also a certain CFM you need to have that dust be pulled out of the airstream. I am betting you need ~900 CFM entering the cyclone to separate well (but that's a total guess). Do you have a 6" pip that goes all the way to the sander?

Thats exactly what oneida said. I spoke with them on friday and they said there is probably a leak on the cyclone or drum. They saw the pictures and said its not normal at all.

Its a 6" main which steps down to 5" at the wye and then a few feet of 4" flex.

==>slightest leak in the cyclone or drum, what you are experiencing will happen

That would do it...  But leaks at the bin/cyclone are rather course -- and are almost always found right away -- even without a smoke test...

Speaking of smoke, I use one of these... http://www.mcmaster.com/#4101t5/=wxegi7  -- great for finding leaks... OK, they are $50 -- but mine has lasted for a decade (and will last for two or three more) -- the best part, from end-to-end, it only takes about 60 seconds to run a test on a suspected leak... I check my system once a year -- I always find a leak or two -- just from the little dings and bangs from moving stock or bulky case projects around the shop --- some of my ductwork is in shocking condition -- probably the best $50 I've spent on shop DC...

==>slightest leak in the cyclone or drum, what you are experiencing will happen

That would do it... But leaks at the bin/cyclone are rather course -- and are almost always found right away -- even without a smoke test...

Speaking of smoke, I use one of these... http://www.mcmaster.com/#4101t5/=wxegi7 -- great for finding leaks... OK, they are $50 -- but mine has lasted for a decade (and will last for two or three more) -- the best part, from end-to-end, it only takes about 60 seconds to run a test on a suspected leak... I check my system once a year -- I always find a leak or two -- just from the little dings and bangs from moving stock or bulky case projects around the shop --- some of my ductwork is in shocking condition -- probably the best $50 I've spent on shop DC...

I just checked out my system and definitely found some problem areas.

1-The hole i drilled in the lid of the bin for the sensor was much bigger than the sensor itself. I put some mastic all around it. About 1/8" all around the sensor.

2- I found 7 bolts that were very loose which connected the composite impeller housing to the angled piece of composite that connects to the filter. I didnt tighten them super hard when i installed it because i was scared to break the composite. Now i cranked them and really squished the gasket in the connection.

3- Where the ductwork joins the cyclone was sucking air. I taped it.

Now with this done the bin is airborne when the system is on. I dont think it was like that before, or maybe its just wishful thinking. Seems like such small details, one wouldn't think it would affect the separation performance so much. I hope it was just that.

By airborne you mean the bin is being lifted off the ground because the connecting hose is shrinking, then yes, this is probably a good sign that your fixes have made an improvement. It still might be worth doing a "smoke test" or something to ensure there are no leaks in the bin at all. It is absolutely critical that there are no leaks in order to get the high separation efficiency. That dust is so light, that even a slight air current from the bin up through the cyclone will cause that dust to go to the filter.

By airborne you mean the bin is being lifted off the ground because the connecting hose is shrinking, then yes, this is probably a good sign that your fixes have made an improvement. It still might be worth doing a "smoke test" or something to ensure there are no leaks in the bin at all. It is absolutely critical that there are no leaks in order to get the high separation efficiency. That dust is so light, that even a slight air current from the bin up through the cyclone will cause that dust to go to the filter.

I will try and find a smoke pen. I checked with a match and it seemed fine. In the meantime I will sand some wood In the supermax and see if I get better results.

==>1-The hole i drilled in the lid of the bin for the sensor was much bigger than the sensor itself. I put some mastic all around it. About 1/8" all around the sensor.
2- I found 7 bolts that were very loose which connected the composite impeller housing to the angled piece of composite that connects to the filter. I didnt tighten them super hard when i installed it because i was scared to break the composite. Now i cranked them and really squished the gasket in the connection.

DIY installs always have leaks --- I'm w/ PB -- only one of those three will impact seperation at all...  I agree with A -- leaks in the bin itself will impact seperation, by how much??? Will be interesting to see you results... Great to get data from other's problems... :)

==>1-The hole i drilled in the lid of the bin for the sensor was much bigger than the sensor itself. I put some mastic all around it. About 1/8" all around the sensor.

DIY installs always have leaks --- I'm w/ PB -- only one of those three will impact seperation at all... I agree with A -- leaks in the bin itself will impact seperation, by how much??? Will be interesting to see you results... Great to get data from other's problems... :)

I'm glad my problems are helpful!

• 1 year later...