Where does one find it?

collinb

Navarre ... The first time I drove through, in 1999 iirc, there was an old steam shovel, like the Mike Mulligan children's book.

Being from further west (Wisconsin) I'd never seen one.  Went back later to get a picture. 

But it was drizzling so the pic was just ok.

Went back another day with better light only to learn that it had been moved to somewhere near Pittsburgh.

And every few years we drop into Lehman's Hardware just for fun.

Specialty places like rockler and woodcraft usually sell thin stock. But you pay a significant premium for wood at those places anyway and I'm sure there's even more of a markup for the thin stuff. I resaw and/or mill pieces when I need thin stock.

If you need narrow thin pieces my favorite way to go is to rip strips off the side of an 8/4 or thicker board. Usually yields nice quality quarter sawn wood without the movement you typically see from re sawing a 4/4 board.

My hardwood store has a lot of domestic woods in 1/2", but like others have said, that milling costs extra. They have guitar lumber, 1/4 walnut, birds eye maple and others. I've bought some of the walnut for a project before I had a bandsaw, it's $18 for a 1/4"x6"x36" piece, so that's what, less than 1 bf for $18!!! It was beautiful cathedral grain though.

Navarre ... The first time I drove through, in 1999 iirc, there was an old steam shovel, like the Mike Mulligan children's book.

Being from further west (Wisconsin) I'd never seen one. Went back later to get a picture.

But it was drizzling so the pic was just ok.

Went back another day with better light only to learn that it had been moved to somewhere near Pittsburgh.

And every few years we drop into Lehman's Hardware just for fun.

My mom used to read me that book when I was little, she just bought a copy for my son.