Rude (Venting about a bad Craigslist experience)

chrisphr

Via email:

5:20PM - me: Is it still ok to come by and take a look at the clamps? I'm in Cornelius, about a 40 min drive from Salisbury.

5:45PM - anonymous bhole: Yes, anytime this evening.

5:49PM - me: Great, send me the address, I am on my way now.

6:35PM - me: I am about 10min outside Salisbury. May I have the address? I'll be there in a few minutes.

7:17PM - me: I've got to be headed back in a few minutes.

7:23PM - BH: The clamps were just sold, thanks

The end

I was driving to pick up a Jet 16-42EVS2 lathe from a woman. She said can you be here at 1pm? I told her ok I'll be there at 1pm. 12:45 and I'm about 5 miles from her house which was 30 miles from me and she messages me and says "Sorry it's no longer available no point in coming here I just sold it to someone else."

The dangers of Craig's List. Having done a few transactions this way, I understand your frustration. I always let potential buyers know if I have an offer or meeting arranged already, and promise to contact them if it falls through. I have missed a couple of sales for full list price, but I sleep better, knowing I didn't lead anyone on.

I have been fortunate on the few CL purchases that I have made, that I have been the only party to show interest.

I've been pretty lucky with my transactions. All the people who have bought stuff from me have been pleasant. All the people I bought from have been good experiences and stand up guys, with the exception of that one woman. One guy actually held something for me even though a guy offered him more money and sooner pick up. 

But for this one transaction, mine have been positive too. I am just disappointed in how inconsiderate some people can be, especially for woodworking tools, it doesn't fit the ethos of the hobby (in my own mind).

As an off-set to this bad experience, I was simultaneously working a deal on a belt sander I was selling on Craigslist. Russ drove two hours from Columbia, SC to meet me at my house at the agreed upon time of 9pm. He he gave me $120 and asked for $10 change (my asking price was $109). I gave him $11, and he handed the $1 back. I reminded him I listed for $109, he said "whatever" insisting I take the dollar back. I opened a drawer and gave him what might be a lifetime worth of sandpaper.

The only negative I have with craigslist is I was selling a very nice Nikon film camera, this chick starts emailing me saying how nice it is and this and that, then she says something about cables and I say you did read the title that says it's a 35mm film camera right? Not another word, she wouldn't respond to anything. I had another guy that wanted it and I offered it to her 3 more times, I finally texted her and told her how rude she was, of course I'm sure it had no influence.

Yea, these kids will be taking care of us one day.   :rolleyes:

These kids can't take care of themselves at age 25. I'm fairly certain we'll be taking care of them until we perish, and then all is lost. I call it the 80s phenomenon, the last generation of kids who grew up when you could still discipline kids, before kids were given trophies for showing up, when kids could ride bikes with no helmets, when kids had toys that are "too dangerous" for kids now, when a cell phone was 20 pounds and came with a messenger sized bag and was corded to it.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I deleted the last few posts including my own. It got into inappropriate territory. It's lame, I know, but it's not a conversation for this forum. Carry on, but remind yourself where you are and what this place is for.

Nobodys mad at you... At least not for deleting posts :D
  • Like 1

Could it be because of the left wing religious fanatic moderators that are sexually inactive

The best part is you managed a swing and a miss on all three pitches. :D

No one would enjoy a political-religious debate more than me.  But there are rules here, and let's face it...those "conversations" never yield anything except hurt butts.  No reason we shouldn't all remain buddies as long as we can. :)

The best part is you managed a swing and a miss on all three pitches. :D

No one would enjoy a political-religious debate more than me. But there are rules here, and let's face it...those "conversations" never yield anything except hurt butts. No reason we shouldn't all remain buddies as long as we can. :)

You said "HURT BUTTS" lmfao!!!

Only bad experience that I had was because of my own fault. I waited a couple hours too long on a listing, contemplating the purchase. I called the guy and he said he had another potential buyer coming over right before me. He said to call him back in about an hour to see if the wood was still there. Unfortunately, it wasn't :(

Another one that is more a curiosity than inconsiderate is this dialogue:

Anonymous Craigslist person: "Is the <whatever I a selling> still available?

Me (within 5 minutes of receipt of the email): "yes, let me know when you'd like to take a look"

No response. Just puzzling.

Another one that is more a curiosity than inconsiderate is this dialogue:

Anonymous Craigslist person: "Is the <whatever I a selling> still available?

Me (within 5 minutes of receipt of the email): "yes, let me know when you'd like to take a look"

No response. Just puzzling.

yes and the price goes up if you don't respond back within 15 minutes.

Oh yes we are. It seems that you just can't get a good conversation going about sex, religion and politics on a woodworking forum anymore for some reason

Could it be because of the left wing religious fanatic moderators that are sexually inactive

You forgot to mention his hatred for Amazon =P

Sorry guys, I deleted the last few posts including my own.  It got into inappropriate territory.  It's lame, I know, but it's not a conversation for this forum.  Carry on, but remind yourself where you are and what this place is for.

'Twas a good choice. Sometimes we all start to get on a topic and we get a bit happy and lose rational thought in a storm of agreement. We all know in the end it all comes down to which bandsaw/sander to buy.

• Like 1