A Thread for Fishing Enthusiasts

FtrPilot

Whether you fish like this:

post-17084-0-54761200-1430006591.jpg

Or you fish like this:

post-17084-0-37554900-1430006605.jpg

I am sure you have a story to tell, and pictures to show.  So, please, tell us your story, and show us your pictures...

I'll go first...

I really like to fish for Steelhead

post-17084-0-49053000-1430006656.jpg

and Brown Trout.

post-17084-0-17379100-1430006629.jpg

My favorite place to fish trout is the Brule river in Wisconsin.   I started fishing the Brule in 1979, and try to go there twice a year. I fish a section of the river about 4 miles from where the river empties into Lake Superior.

Here's the Willow Tree, right outside the cabin.

post-17084-0-87034400-1430006841.jpg

And a picture from my first trip to the Brule... I'm on the right...but right now, I look like the guy in the middle.

post-17084-0-80058700-1430006681.jpg

The spring run starts last weekend in March.  The Steelhead come up-river from Lake Superior (aka the great lake they call Gichigami), to spawn. I usually fish a fly rig, with spawn or wax worms, with a little yarn tied on the hook.  Since the Steelhead are spawning, I fish the spawning beds first, and if there is no action, I fish the deep water holes before or after the spawning beds.

During the fall run, the Brown Trout come up river to spawn, but there are a lot of Steelhead also in the river.  The Browns will hit night crawlers and some spinners, and the Steelheads will hit spinners and Rapalas.

So, there you have it...my favorite place to fish...with a little bit of history.

Tell us all about your favorite fish, favorite place to fish, favorite way to fish, favorite boat, favorite fish recipe, or anything else about fishing.

post-17084-0-54761200-1430006591_thumb.j

post-17084-0-37554900-1430006605_thumb.j

post-17084-0-17379100-1430006629_thumb.j

post-17084-0-49053000-1430006656_thumb.j

post-17084-0-80058700-1430006681_thumb.j

post-17084-0-87034400-1430006841_thumb.j

Here is a fish my boy 'caught' on our first visit to the local fishing hole this spring:

e5062141eed42ae2d121af689c7a296e.jpg

Largemouth bass, 13" long. Most of the day looked like this:

c2f7841a1145c0907861dd390bf74c84.jpg

With nary a fish to be found. We we actually pulling back up to the dock when we spotted this fish, weakly flopping at the surface. I eased the boat close enough, he reached in and grabbed the fish. I figure it had been caught and released, and was just too weak to swim away.

• Like 1

I did not grow up fishing. I fish because my kids love it.

I did not create the meme but shamelessly ripped it off of FaceBook.

image.jpg

taking your kids fishing is as good of reason as any to go. My dad and I were really close, mainly because we spent many hours in a small boat plucking bluegill. Granted it was before cell phones, so I knew if I didn't behave I was done for!

My dad on our last fishing trip, we fished for 5 days solid on his boat, caught maybe 3 fish, but had a heck of a good time, it was about 2-3 weeks before he passed away.

I'm sure you have a lot of fond memories of your dad.  

The number of fish should have been more than the number of days, but just doesn't always work out that way.

Went fishing while I was off work for dads funeral and caught this bass, probably 7-8 lbs, biggest one I've ever caught

Nice looking bass ...I'll give you credit for an 8 pounder.

Thanks for sharing.

Here is a fish my boy 'caught' on our first visit to the local fishing hole this spring:

Largemouth bass, 13" long. Most of the day looked like this:

With nary a fish to be found. We we actually pulling back up to the dock when we spotted this fish, weakly flopping at the surface. I eased the boat close enough, he reached in and grabbed the fish. I figure it had been caught and released, and was just too weak to swim away.

A great story... Thanks for sharing.

I am sure you have a lot more fishing trips planned for the future.

Took up fly fishing in my twenties and loved it! Went fishing this winding narrow River in Bishop CA with a buddy. Went to jump across a bend from the sad bar to the other shore edge and slipped down and went straight down and never touched bottom. Grabbed the tall grass going down and luckily had my wader belt on and pulled myself up onto shore. If not for my wader belt I wouldn't be typing this today.

On a positive note caught and released the most beautiful rainbow trout.

I'm sure you have a lot of fond memories of your dad.

The number of fish should have been more than the number of days, but just doesn't always work out that way.

Nice looking bass ...I'll give you credit for an 8 pounder.

Thanks for sharing.

yeah as much as losing him hurts, he was at home and it was sudden, no suffering, looking back that's the way to go, that long and drawn out stuff is for the birds! I'll take credit for 8lbs :D

==>Took up fly fishing in my twenties and loved it!

I've always wanted to build my own split-cane rod -- I took-up fly fishing just before I got married -- and discovered there's something called a honey-do list... I may never get a chance at the rod, but hope others get to build one -- before it's too late... :)

I've been fly fishing longer than I've been woodworking, but the former has taken a major backseat to the latter in the last several years.  I have a group of fishing buddies all over MO, and we descend upon the Ozark waters a few times a year...some of us more often than others.  A couple of the guys are guides, sponsored, the whole deal...so there's some talent among us.  I stopped taking it seriously and kind of fell behind once I turned full-blooded beaver...and had two kids. :unsure:   Here's a few from some recent trips (none of which were my catch)...

B88FF0D6-B775-4A6E-827F-607507558125_zps

P3211287_zpsb0ulb2h8.jpg

photo1_zps9cfc2c6d.jpg

P6081039_zps67716d02.jpg

P5311028_zps94175aa1.jpg

P4060918_zpsf6a7b688.jpg

P1010919-Copy_zps419f9296.jpg

• Like 1

Those are some beautiful fish Eric! That 2nd smallmouth is a lunker!

+1 and thanks for posting.

...... Went to jump across a bend from the sad bar to the other shore edge and slipped down and went straight down and never touched bottom. Grabbed the tall grass going down and luckily had my wader belt on and pulled myself up onto shore. If not for my wader belt I wouldn't be typing this today.

On a positive note caught and released the most beautiful rainbow trout.

Knock wood...I have not put any riverwater into my waders.  I am a believer in catch & release...and I always take a camera.

Thanks for sharing.

==>Took up fly fishing in my twenties and loved it!

I've always wanted to build my own split-cane rod -- I took-up fly fishing just before I got married -- and discovered there's something called a honey-do list... I may never get a chance at the rod, but hope others get to build one -- before it's too late... :)

It's all about priorities.  Perhaps, some day, all of the honey-dos  will be honey-done and you can put the split-cane rod back at the top of the list.

Thanks for sharing.

Knock wood...I have not put any riverwater into my waders.  I am a believer in catch & release...and I always take a camera.

Took a fly fishing class with a buddy at Bob Marriotts Fly Fishing Store in CA over 40 years ago and they stressed heavily "Always wear a wader belt!"

I would have died that day if not for a silly belt around my chest. Boy streams can get really deep! LOL 

Thanks Ftr.

You inspired me to get out and do some dry fly fishing today .

It is low water, prior to the spring melt.

I got this Cutthroat on the aptly named Fish Creek in Wilson, Wyoming.

Glad to be of service...a gorgeous fish and a gorgeous trout stream.  How far do you have to travel to get to the stream?

Thanks Ftr.

You inspired me to get out and do some dry fly fishing today .

It is low water, prior to the spring melt.

I got this Cutthroat on the aptly named Fish Creek in Wilson, Wyoming.

http://IMG_0985-001_zpsoise4ifh.jpg

Looking upstream:

http://IMG_0992_zpsii6kchvc.jpg

I could fish there all day and be happy not catching a thing! That is a beautiful place!
  • Like 1

I'm really fortunate that Fish Creek is about 300 yards from my front door.

It doesn't run on the property I live on but the neighbor lets me fish any time I like.

If I had a trout stream 300 yards from my front door, I wouldn't be a woodworker.  Well maybe.  Thanks for sharing your pics...