A Thread for Fishing Enthusiasts

FtrPilot

Do you have a YouTube channel Dave?

Nope. I'm associated with a small canyoneering website which has nothing to do with woodworking (or fishing).

Why do you ask?

If I had a trout stream 300 yards from my front door, I wouldn't be a woodworker.  Well maybe.  Thanks for sharing your pics...

I generally fish 3 or 4 times a week during summer and autumn.

Just a couple/few hours at a time.

I sneak out in the evening and skitter a caddis or a parachute adams on the surface until darkness sets in.

I often take a couple of "grape sodas" along for good measure.

That could be valuable shop time I suppose, but time on the water is tough to resist.

Nope. I'm associated with a small canyoneering website which has nothing to do with woodworking (or fishing).

Why do you ask?

Just curious, I watched a guys shop tour and he had about the same view as you do, i could have sworn his name was Dave or something like that... Maybe there's 2 of you and you haven't met yet???

A Doppelganger?

That would be interesting, though he couldn't be as quirky as me... :wacko:

The view is from south to north along the eastern slope of the southern Teton Range.

There are a lot of craftspeople, artists, and woodworkers around the area.

It wouldn't surprise me if "Dave" lives nearby.

Magpie Furniture, a small custom furniture maker, is just down the road a half mile.

Then there's the guy who just moved in. He has a dust collector attached to his table saw which I've been coveting, and I've seen a few of those unmistakable green tools and their integrated carrying cases in the back of his pick-up. I'm convinced he's a builder.

Someone else in the neighborhood has a bandsaw mill I'm told.

A Doppelganger?

That would be interesting, though he couldn't be as quirky as me... :wacko:

The view is from south to north along the eastern slope of the southern Teton Range.

There are a lot of craftspeople, artists, and woodworkers around the area.

It wouldn't surprise me if "Dave" lives nearby.

Magpie Furniture, a small custom furniture maker, is just down the road a half mile.

Then there's the guy who just moved in. He has a dust collector attached to his table saw which I've been coveting, and I've seen a few of those unmistakable green tools and their integrated carrying cases in the back of his pick-up. I'm convinced he's a builder.

Someone else in the neighborhood has a bandsaw mill I'm told.

I bet it's nice having so many like minded people around, I live in a small city (pop. 10,000 +/-) and I have no idea where the nearest woodworker lives?

I've gotten in to blue water fishing in the Gulf of Mexico It's amazing how hard these fish fight. The variety is also quite interesting. Short trips can produce red snapper, kingfish, vermillion snapper, grouper, sharks, ling, dorado, etc. A little farther out gets you into amberjacks, deep water grouper, and many other species. My favorite is tuna. We have to go out 120 miles to get them with any consistency.

We catch yellowfin mostly on top water poppers and swim baits at night. Try to rest during the day so you can stay up all night. It's an awesome experience to see the huge blow up and hear the drag sing. Most Texas yellowfin are 60-80 lbs and the average fight takes 15 minutes at 15 lbs of drag.

1a1b7b35ab92d27df6edbee327c2bff6.jpge795c0497e4b2168e43066148e02c969.jpga0d175a28840e975a3485c40e0f30e47.jpg8c5d1903aae8482e19154faa61406c4e.jpgd59c0d5102d63450e6d75f30e4ee198e.jpg

Steve

• Like 1

I'm really fortunate that Fish Creek is about 300 yards from my front door.

It doesn't run on the property I live on but the neighbor lets me fish any time I like.

Dave, that all sounds nice and I'm sure your view is beautiful, but what do you guys do for a Walmart and pollution and high rise buildings and 5:00 traffic?

I'm soooo envious!

I've gotten in to blue water fishing in the Gulf of Mexico It's amazing how hard these fish fight. The variety is also quite interesting. Short trips can produce red snapper, kingfish, vermillion snapper, grouper, sharks, ling, dorado, etc. A little farther out gets you into amberjacks, deep water grouper, and many other species. My favorite is tuna. We have to go out 120 miles to get them with any consistency.

We catch yellowfin mostly on top water poppers and swim baits at night. Try to rest during the day so you can stay up all night. It's an awesome experience to see the huge blow up and hear the drag sing. Most Texas yellowfin are 60-80 lbs and the average fight takes 15 minutes at 15 lbs of drag.

Steve

Some mighty big smiles on those faces...

The farthest I have been out in the gulf is about 30 miles.  Catching grouper, amberjack, red snapper, trigger fish, and an occasional dolphin (not flipper). I cannot imagine going out to 120 miles.

Last time I was in the gulf was probably 1991....it was a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing your pics and your experiences.

I bet it's nice having so many like minded people around, I live in a small city (pop. 10,000 +/-) and I have no idea where the nearest woodworker lives?

I hadn't thought of it, but yes, it is good to live in a community which has a wide range of creative people.

Dave, that all sounds nice and I'm sure your view is beautiful, but what do you guys do for a Walmart and pollution and high rise buildings and 5:00 traffic?

I'm soooo envious!

As you point out, it's tough not having all the retail opportunities that a larger population will offer, but the real toughie is the weather.

For example, I just got back from the desert where the temperature was in the low 80s every day. I get back home and we have a high of 60 deg., and it's still dropping down to freezing temps during  the nights. Brrrrr....I need me some of that Texas weather.