wood slabs live edge wood

nicky

Hello from the coast of Maine. This is all new to me. I developed an interest in wood when I started renovating a 200 yr old post and beam house. Since then we have purchased a sawmill and built a Nyle kiln on our property and I am making oak lobster trap runners for a local co. My real interest is in the the slabs and what can be made with them. I have some gorgeous air dried 3' thick pine slabs 12-20' wide, approx.16' long. Would love to know if anybody has used wood like this for countertops? Going to be renovating the kitchen soon and want something unique.

While a huge slab countertop would be lovely to see, there are challenges to overcome. Wood movement is likely to be significant in such a piece, and pine is not a particularly hard or rot resistant species. I feel that the only way to use a pine slab as a counter top would be to completely encase it in some sort of resin, to seal it and provide a tougher surface.

Welcome to the forums!

...... Since then we have purchased a sawmill and built a Nyle kiln on our property and I am making oak lobster trap runners for a local co......

Sounds to me like you are living the American dream... I hope the Maine Lobster industry thrives and that you sell several million lobster trap runners.  As much as I love lobster, I plan to contribute everything I can to your success.

Me, I am a retired guy, relatively new to woodworking...so, I really can't help with your pine questions.  However, I have jumped into woodworking with both feet and am currently building a Roubo workbench...so if you ever have questions about workbenches...I will surely help out.

Once again, welcome...