Zero clearance insert ATT. Particleboard

ColinF

==>10" blade with 8" dado chippers to cut a cabinet back rabbet  at the same time that the sheet of plywood is being ripped to width or stack a groover with a 10" blade to cut a back groove at the same time so two operations in one pass across the saw.

Like stacking two FTG blades with a spacer to cut tenons in one pass... There are just so many things you can do with a tablesaw that aren't in the manual... Suppose we could start a 'tablesaw tricks' thread... But folks would have to sign a liability waver to access it... :)

I don't know that doing these sorts of things is really anymore unsafe than anything else. There are loads of tablesaw accessory type heads available but unfortunately they will never show up in the hobby market. Its not because they are unsafe but Id say it more so a lack of buyers. Very few if any hobby shop guys are going to buy a dedicated 1/2" dado head with carbide inserts and scoring tips. Its just much cheaper to buy an off the shelf dado blade set and have more versatility. Nobody is going to spend the money to buy fluting heads when they can just buy a $20 router bit. Some of it I sort of agree with but some I think the performance certainly outweighs the cost. 

I don't think it's cost as much as it is lack of need.  It's fairly obvious that most woodworkers are willing to take out a second mortgage on their house to fill their shops with expensive tools.  But for hobbyists it doesn't make any sense to buy a fluting head if they're only going to use it for a set of legs on a single piece of furniture and stick it back in the box.

I don't think it's cost as much as it is lack of need.  It's fairly obvious that most woodworkers are willing to take out a second mortgage on their house to fill their shops with expensive tools.  But for hobbyists it doesn't make any sense to buy a fluting head if they're only going to use it for a set of legs on a single piece of furniture and stick it back in the box.

I think need and cost are sort of the same line of thinking. Most don't mind throwing the $20 router bit in a drawer where it may sit unused for years not needed but a $120 head is a different story. On the other hand if a head only cost $20 the head would be easily justified.

I think need and cost are sort of the same line of thinking. Most don't mind throwing the $20 router bit in a drawer where it may sit unused for years not needed but a $120 head is a different story. On the other hand if a head only cost $20 the head would be easily justified.

Well I think it is both cost and lack of awareness. They are times I'd spend $120 for a cutter just for one project, if I could get really good fast results.  But I just don't know where I'd even go to get heads for my table saw.  (full disclosure, In my case it is moot because I doubt they work on a saw stop).    

For example, I am cutting a bunch of 1/2" bullnose moldings for my house and getting a nice, clean, consistent chatter free cut on a 8' long moulding on my router table is surprisingly difficult.   

Well I think it is both cost and lack of awareness. They are times I'd spend $120 for a cutter just for one project, if I could get really good fast results.  But I just don't know where I'd even go to get heads for my table saw.  (full disclosure, In my case it is moot because I doubt they work on a saw stop).    

For example, I am cutting a bunch of 1/2" bullnose moldings for my house and getting a nice, clean, consistent chatter free cut on a 8' long moulding on my router table is surprisingly difficult.   

Saw stop doesn't really take you out of the game but you would have to turn off flesh sensing.