shellac mistake?

david j

Newbie here with hopefully some resolution. I just recently fabricated some built in bookcases all out of walnut veneers for a custmer. I will admit that building is my strongpoint and the finishing my weakness. So prior to finding this site and really researching the proper process I went to Rockler to get info and the suggested supplies. I sealed all the work with Bullseye shellac prior to my staining, they never mentioned anthing about thinning it down and I mentioned to them that I was using it as a persealer only with the Arm R Seal they recommended for my top coating. Well the staining process (general finshes oil stain) looks like crap. After spending the day today all over the web to rsolve my issue I ended up here. I watched the wood whisper video on shellac and found out that Im using a 3 cut staight out of the can and maybe thats why my stain isnt adhering properly after slightly sanding the shellac with 180 pad. I quess i should have used the seal coat instead to condition only and Im not sure why the dint recommend that or maybe they just assumed I knew to thin the shellac they gave me. Not looking to blame them in any way, I should have researched more i myselfn lieu of relying on somebody else. Long story short I think I need to sand the stain and shellac off as best as possible without hindering my veneer. Is the shellac penatrated to much to do so and I think Ill end up with extreme blotching because I dont feel Ill be able to get all the stain color out completely without ruining my work. Any suggestions would help and I hope to post more positive results in the future.

Unfortunately, with the world having gone corporate, there is no assurance that your sales associate actually knows anything.  While the guys are Rockler are going to be worlds better than someone at Home Depot or another BORG cube, you still might draw the guy who only finishes his projects with poly...  

The only thing to be done is ask so many questions you feel kind of dumb!

I'm always confused whenever I hear "stain" and "walnut" in the same sentence.  You would have been fine skipping both the shellac and the stain and going right to the Arm-R-Seal...if the look of walnut was the look you were going for.  Few finishes leave a more natural appearance while still providing a bit of protection than satin Arm-R-Seal right out of the can, three or four coats.  I suppose perhaps you weren't seeking a natural look...in which case I wonder why walnut was used in the first place.  You can stain any wood dark.

Shellac is a sealer, so it will only inhibit a regular oil-based stain from penetrating and working the way it's designed to work.  Walnut is not a blotchy wood, nor does it need help in the color category, so sanding sealers and stains are unnecessary.

You can try sanding down and starting over, but I fear it's too late for that since you're working with veneers and the shellac most likely penetrated deep enough so that you'd burn through the veneer before you got rid of all the shellac.  But you could try it on an inconspicuous area.

Another option is trying a gel stain instead of sanding.  The gel stain has binders and will stand on top of the shellac much better than the oil-based and should give you a more consistent color.

Either way, if you're staining, you're wasting walnut.  Sorry for the lecture, but in the future, let the wood be the wood or use a cheaper species.  No point in stabbing Mother Nature in the back by trying to improve her work...which cannot be done. :)

• Like 2

Thanks, I tried the idea of the denatured alcohol at least to breakdown the shellac enough. It actually is working with alot of rubbing and patience. Its truelly upsettting that the walnut is being stained extremely dark. The original intent was to leave it natural and then the interior decorator changed the homeowners thoughts. I could strangle her.

I also stopped in at Rockler and talked to the lady who sold me my products. She did apologize however I did have to give her my input and told her not to refer products to your customers that you dont have knowledge yourself on the product. Back to rubbing out more shellac tomorrow and hope to post photos soon. Thanks again for your input

Thanks, I tried the idea of the denatured alcohol at least to breakdown the shellac enough. It actually is working with alot of rubbing and patience. Its truelly upsettting that the walnut is being stained extremely dark. The original intent was to leave it natural and then the interior decorator changed the homeowners thoughts. I could strangle her.

I also stopped in at Rockler and talked to the lady who sold me my products. She did apologize however I did have to give her my input and told her not to refer products to your customers that you dont have knowledge yourself on the product. Back to rubbing out more shellac tomorrow and hope to post photos soon. Thanks again for your input

You got it all wrong man.  They aren't interior decorators, they are interior desecrators. (I'm in the architectural field)  Those women can screw up everything.