Two story pole barn shop

Larry Moore

I got bored waiting for drywall hangers  so I decided to figure out how to post pictures.

It appears that I will have to do it with two posts.

The building is 22x24 the ceiling is 8'10".

The foundation is basically a short pole barn with the side walls built on the top rim which is at grade. The reason is my city either requires a 42" foundation wall or you can build a pole barn. They don't tell you how tall it needs to be

post-16037-0-30544000-1430159928_thumb.j

post-16037-0-87714700-1430160128_thumb.j

post-16037-0-95328100-1430160141_thumb.j

post-16037-0-22547300-1430160153_thumb.j

Whoa! That's going to be a serious improvement Larry!

Yes it will I just wish it was closer to done.

Tomorrow should be the last day of waiting on someone else. I have a drywall crew coming, it will take  four hours to hang and  three days to mud.

Then I can install lights and plugs.

Yes it will I just wish it was closer to done.

Tomorrow should be the last day of waiting on someone else. I have a drywall crew coming, it will take  four hours to hang and  three days to mud.

Then I can install lights and plugs.

Seems that's always the worst part!  Waiting on somebody else. 

Sweet set up.....BUT...what of the basement now? Man cave?  Two weeks ago, my son had worked graveyard at International Paper and it was ALMOST  time for him to get up when I was watching the NASCAR race and FOX did the 'crank it up' part.  My surround sound had the house vibrating.   My son walks out and said, "well, I guess it's time for me to get up". I apologized up and down for forgetting him. The basement could now serve something like this??? Maybe a half of it?  If there's a wife, she may have an issue with your getting a new shop AND keeping some of the basement though.

Sweet set up.....BUT...what of the basement now? Man cave?  Two weeks ago, my son had worked graveyard at International Paper and it was ALMOST  time for him to get up when I was watching the NASCAR race and FOX did the 'crank it up' part.  My surround sound had the house vibrating.   My son walks out and said, "well, I guess it's time for me to get up". I apologized up and down for forgetting him. The basement could now serve something like this??? Maybe a half of it?  If there's a wife, she may have an issue with your getting a new shop AND keeping some of the basement though.

Probably move our O gage train down there

And now I have drywall

post-16037-0-10191700-1430321875_thumb.j

post-16037-0-90886100-1430321883_thumb.j

post-16037-0-88471900-1430321898_thumb.j

post-16037-0-50854900-1430321920_thumb.j

post-16037-0-99189300-1430321942_thumb.j

That looks a lot nicer than any pole barn I have seen.  Your jurisdiction has an interesting definition of "pole barn"  Looks like a great shop though. 

From the web: "pole barn

noun
noun: pole barn; plural noun: pole barns
  1. a farm building with no foundation and with sides consisting of corrugated steel or aluminum panels supported by poles set in the ground typically at eight-foot intervals."

Edit, noticed you said the first floor was a pole barn, where is the first floor?  I only see one.  Now you have me intrigued. So is the entire building built upon a pier type foundation at the wall line with a beam at top w/ stick framing above to your top plate? 

That looks a lot nicer than any pole barn I have seen.  Your jurisdiction has an interesting definition of "pole barn"  Looks like a great shop though. 

From the web: "pole barn

noun
noun: pole barn; plural noun: pole barns
  1. a farm building with no foundation and with sides consisting of corrugated steel or aluminum panels supported by poles set in the ground typically at eight-foot intervals."

Edit, noticed you said the first floor was a pole barn, where is the first floor?  I only see one.  Now you have me intrigued. So is the entire building built upon a pier type foundation at the wall line with a beam at top w/ stick framing above to your top plate? 

The foundation is built just like a pole barn that has eight foot spaced poles but only has the top rim above grade. Then the side walls are stick framed on top of what is typically a barn that is eight or what ever high