Two story pole barn shop

Larry Moore

Larry, when you have time one day, how about starting a model RR thread in Off-Topic? My son is a life long rail fan, and would love to see your layout! We don't have one running at the moment, no space.

Mine is not running now either, for the same reason. Have him look for a site called OGR it's a site dedicated to O gage model rail roads

• 1 month later...

I'm going to post this here so I don't highjack bushwacked,s thread. In the layout discussions I posted my opinion of his layout here's my justification for my layout.

With 54 inch table extension against the wall I ran my dust collection down the wall and under the saw. I put a stub in and can hook either my shaper or band saw which sit beside the table saw into it, also my saw cord is not running across the floor or hanging down from the ceiling. I have 10 feet between in feed to saw and the wall behind me, I have 8 feet on the run out side and open the overhead door for longer stuff. Yes it makes me push sheet stock across the saw before I can cut it, but I don't have to open the door for 5 or 6 foot stock(reference to what appears to be on bushes) which I cut more than 4x8 sheets.

I'm going to post this here so I don't highjack bushwacked,s thread. In the layout discussions I posted my opinion of his layout here's my justification for my layout.

With 54 inch table extension against the wall I ran my dust collection down the wall and under the saw. I put a stub in and can hook either my shaper or band saw which sit beside the table saw into it, also my saw cord is not running across the floor or hanging down from the ceiling. I have 10 feet between in feed to saw and the wall behind me, I have 8 feet on the run out side and open the overhead door for longer stuff. Yes it makes me push sheet stock across the saw before I can cut it, but I don't have to open the door for 5 or 6 foot stock(reference to what appears to be on bushes) which I cut more than 4x8 sheets.

Every shop is going to be different and has to work for you.  My comment on his thread was about his flow.  It looked to me in his drawing that he could have 8' to the door and still have lots of room in the rest of the shop.  The idea being not to have to open the door to cut 8' goods.  He also doesn't have to be mindful of lowering the blade to bring in the longer goods.

This is the first time I have seen this. Nice space you have built, with some interesting combinations in construction, the heated floor and the spray foam will be awesome. Do you plan on keeping the shop heated full time? 

Yes

we have not been in snow in10 years so this is my compensation for staying in the cold of MI

Every shop is going to be different and has to work for you.  My comment on his thread was about his flow.  It looked to me in his drawing that he could have 8' to the door and still have lots of room in the rest of the shop.  The idea being not to have to open the door to cut 8' goods.  He also doesn't have to be mindful of lowering the blade to bring in the longer goods.

Kev, I agree every shop and person are different.

I did not think it looked like he had but about 6 feet. If the small grids are six inches.