Opinions on Jet JJP-8BT Jointer/Planer Combo?

Dakinney0807

I have the opportunity to pick one of these up off of Craigslist for around $200 and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or not.  The reviews seem fairly mixed online depending on what site you go to so I figured I'd see if anyone here has any strong opinions one way or the other.

For a little background, I'm working out of a garage at the moment and am fairly new to woodworking - maybe 6 months in.  Going with a full sized jointer and planer isn't an option because of the space and cost at this point.  I do have access to a jointer/planer at a friends house, but it's a good 20-25 minute drive which is a bit of a hassle (call me lazy) but if I absolutely need one I can get to it.

Do I spend the money on this or is the frustration not worth it?

I would say it comes down to how lazy you want to be.

I have the 10" version of that machine.

I believe that the reviews are true for the most part...mixed results because of cheaply made equipment.

If you go into it thinking that it is a way to do some milling and that you will upgrade eventually, the machine is a viable short-term option.

Being a combo machine at a low price range you can expect that it is made rather flimsy.

The greatest deficiency of the jointer is that the beds are short.

The planer is loud and isn't very "solid".

The change over from jointer to planer is quick and simple.

If you are going to purchase the CL offering it would be best if you can check that the jointer beds are coplaner before you invest.

There is little, or no, adjustment possible if the beds are out of whack.

Thanks Dave!  To be fair to myself, it's partially laziness and partially the demands of two kids under two and half that make the drive out to my buddies a hassle.

My goal is exactly what you said though - a way to get some milling done as a short-term solution.  Like I said I'm only 6 months in so sinking too much money in at this point scares me a little as I've had one too many hobbies that have died out after year or so.  On the flip side, I don't want to buy something that frustrates me so much that it ruins the experience for me.

I'm leaning towards making the purchase at this point but will definitely check to see if the beds are coplaner, thanks for the pointer!

dak0807,

I agree with davewyo 100%.  One of the first questions I would as the seller is why are they selling?  Are they maturing in their craft and are moving up?  Or is the tool a dog?  They might not answer the 2nd, but at $200 for a short-term solution, your investment isn't too steep.

I recently purchased the Jet combo planer/jointer and have been happy with the results.  A woodworking friend of mine also purchased the 10-inch model recently and is happy as well.  When researching both of us saw mixed reviews on the 8-inch model jointer.  Having said that, 2 young kids and 6-months into the craft, this seems like a great entry point.  Best of luck!

, I don't want to buy something that frustrates me so much that it ruins the experience for me.

Unfortunately, settling on the Jet could lead to just such frustration.

It is possible to mill lumber on the machine, but the lack of precision machining and the lightweight nature of the whole set-up pretty much guarantees that it will not do the job up to the standards you would like.

Since it lacks adjustment, any effort towards "tweaking" things to get better results will likely be unrewarding.

It may be better overall to wait a while, build things you can with what you have until you can get a used lunchbox planer, followed by a jointer.

That's what I would do today if I was given a "do-over."

There's no hurry to get a machine that will hold you back.

• 2 weeks later...

I would steer clear of the smaller combination machines for a lot of the reasons that have been mentioned here. They're lightweight and pretty cheaply made from what I've seen with little to no capability in the way of adjustment. It might be a different story if you went into the purchase fully expecting to upgrade in 6 months, but I definitely wouldn't consider it for a long-term solution if you want quality output from the machine.

That said, combination machines in general get a pretty bad rap. I think for many of them it is well deserved. I've got the 12" Jet combination machine and have been using it for a couple of months now and I have to say it is a completely different story than the smaller ones. It's very solidly built at around 550 pounds. You don't have to worry about any lack of sturdiness. I've been really impressed with the quality as well. Even without the helical cutter head the surfaces are smooth as glass and dead accurate coming out of this machine. Obviously there is a pretty sizable cost difference between the smaller models and this one, so there's that. I just don't want anyone seeing comments about the smaller units thinking that all combo machines are crap. I'm very happy with mine considering the space savings and reduced cost of having both capabilities in a single machine. Your mileage may vary.

The only things that I don't like about the design on the 12" are the grooved jointer table (annoyingly difficult to keep clean and waxed/smooth) and the fact that it has a European-style guard. The guard isn't a big deal.. it just takes some adjustment if you're used to the porkchop style guard like I was. The jointer table... whoever allowed that design decision should be crotch-punched for eternity.