Powermatic 073 DC unit

Brendon_t

This is an older model pm that was discontinued a few years ago. I bought it for a steal at an auction new in box knowing almost nothing about it. I was banking on the brand equity of pm that the unit would work and not be a pos. Ultimately, if it turns on, it will be better than my current 1/2 hp air pump and shop Fox bag set up.

I have attempted to find info on the net but it is severely lacking. Does anybody have any experience with this unit? I would like to heat the good and bad.

Yes pb. It is 1.5hp and the book says 1200 cfm which if we're being honest, I don't think there's a snowballs chance it hits those numbers. My shop is small. 15x10 to be exact so there won't be long runs.

Hey MZ, as I've got the whole package, I have the manual in the box.

I have a 1.5hp Jet, likely the same design?? If you have a 20" barrel between the filter and bag you can adapt the vortex cone that was introduced to the newer Jet models. I just ordered the parts and did the upgrade on mine but haven't had a chance to really see the results. Based on what I have read, it adds cyclonic action and keeps the filter much cleaner. 

If you are interested I have the part number for the cone and bracket. took all of 5 minutes to drill a few holes and install it.

https://youtu.be/T-KNCb7bEkc

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, I did a little Shop reorganization and decided to assemble the DC unit. It took about 30 minutes total to put together. Instructions get a 6.5/10. Sturdyness is definitely 9/10.

This thing will plum do some sucking. Still unsure if I'm going to run hard pipe up through the rafters or just use the dust right stuff I've been using so far.

Brendon, I had a 1.5hp DC (penn state model, not as fancy as what you bought). I ran pvc when I had a basement shop. When we moved and I had a garage shop I just rolled it around. I don't think it had the suckage for a system with hard pipes and gates so think that was a waste of time and money. Much better performance rolling it to the tool. Maybe others have had better luck.

Hey Matt. With my shop setup, the biggest producers of chips and airborne are easily within reach of my 15' expandable hose. The TS, router table and jointer are all now clustered in one area. The band saw is around the corner but I think I'm just going to roll it over when needed.