Rift white oak

Willin

Am planning to build a sofa table next, a copy of an arts and crafts piece designed by the Scottish designer and architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh, circa 1904.  Pic below.

Setting out Monday, I went into town intending to get either cherry, white oak, or red oak, but whatever, in rift sawn.  The first place I went, a yard that sells all their hardwood hit-and-miss planed to all the standard thicknesses, had it in white oak, and best yet, on sale.

So, for $5.95 per board feet, I picked some up.  I went through about half of the 125 or so ten footers they had in the sale bunk, to find what I wanted, and the pics show the results.  Clear select white oak, rift sawn, 35 bf.

See the curved grain?  Table top boards for the curved front and rear edges.

post-16259-0-15724000-1430436778_thumb.p

post-16259-0-81590200-1430436811_thumb.j

And then I thought, hey, what would some of those 2x4s be like for a project!  So I stopped at Lowe's, and boy, did they have some nice ones.

And every one was one of a kind.  No two had knots in the same place.  

Twists, curls, bends galore.  Really exotic.  Cool.

I bought three, and would post pics of them here, but I dropped my phone and then one of the 2x4s dropped on it and smashed up the glass.

Wow!  2x4s and I think they are made of something called "white wood."  What could they possibly be?

Maybe I'll use them to make a split ruobo bench, whatever that is.