U-Pick in St.Louis

woodbutcher74

Nope.  Only Saturdays from April to October.  I'll be there tomorrow 8-4 so you should swing by if you can.

But if you really can't make it on Saturday but really want to come in, I can meet you up there on Sunday at a set time.  I just have yard work and various BS planned, and I'm only five minutes away, so it wouldn't be a big deal. :)

Thanks but I am going to try and make it either later today or tomorrow. I wouldn't want to deprive you of your yard work. :P  Just thought we might swing by on the way out of town so wouldn't have to haul a bunch of lumber around all weekend. I''ll look you up.

Well if you do end up going today, tell Craig that I sent you and you get the friends and family discount.  Which won't mean anything unless he's in a good mood. :D

If you're looking for walnut, your timing is perfect...he just got an enormous shipment in a couple days ago, up to 12/4.

U-Pick is a great place and I shop there regularly. Great selection, reasonable prices, and friendly service. And their lumber is great quality.

If you get a chance though there is a yard in north city, near 70 and kingshighway, that sells rough sawn lumber from recycled trees in the greater STL area. They have very good prices, a nice selection of walnut and cherry slabs, and a bunch of species you don't normally see at lumber yards like black and honey locust, catalpa, Cottonwood, Osage orange, and others. They are only open a couple hours on the first and third Saturday of the month, so tomorrow am is a good chance if you have the time to spare. I find it fun just to wander around and see all the different cool species they have. Here's a link: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Not really looking for anything in particular. Maybe some figured cherry or maple. My sawmill at home has a lot of lumber but most of it is just plain sawn for max yield. Some walnut is always good to have around, I'll have to check it out. 

Thanks Strobes, don't have a lot of time so will probably have to check that place out another time. Wood shopping isn't exactly the Wife's idea of a good time. She'd much rather head to Union Station! -_-

In St. Louis for a couple days R&R. Trying to get a schedule together. Anybody know if U-Pick is still open on Sundays? The website site says they are open on Sunday for Fall and Winter.

Sorry, but who goes to St. Louis for R&R?  ;)

• Like 2

Yeah really.  If traffic and the chance of getting shot in the face is your idea of a good time, it sounds like Chicago is closer to home. :D

Wouldn't go to either city without getting paid for it  ;)  Unless, of course, it was to stop by to have a beverage with one of you folks..

Gettin ready to head for home and thought I would review our long weekend in the St. Louis area. Started the first day at the Zoo. I always thought the animals were there for people to observe. But now I understand, it's the other way around. By the way, if you go on one of the first nice warm days of the season, there's plenty of wild life to observe on the outside of the enclosures. Had a great dinner at a really nice Italian place on The Hill. 

Second day. Headed out to U-Pick hardwoods. It was a little hard to get to but well worth the effort. I was impressed with the selection and how well everything was organized. Found some nice figured cherry and a couple of pieces of birdseye maple for some projects. They also had a great selection of walnut and picked a nice 8/4 piece. The exotics were great but passed on them. For you guys that have never met Eric, he looks just like his previous avatar. Just kidding. He and Craig are great guys. Tried to get my Wife to ask him if walnut took paint well and she wouldn't do it. Left there and spent the afternoon at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Wow, what a place. Every plant, bush and tree labeled. Wish we had more time to spend there. Really nice warm day, need I say more. Eye candy everywhere.

In the evening headed to St. Charles. Ate dinner at a place called Louis and Clarks. Great prime rib. Again wish we had more time to spend there. 

I think we are going to hit Cahokia Mounds on the way home and get back to the grind. 

Yeah, I've been in a lot worse places. Except for the guy in the black Camaro that I cut off trying to get to my exit ramp... got a little nervous when he tailed me a ways. If you think St. Louis is boring, come out to where I live. We can sit around and watch the corn grow. :lol:

Gettin ready to head for home and thought I would review our long weekend in the St. Louis area. Started the first day at the Zoo. I always thought the animals were there for people to observe. But now I understand, it's the other way around. By the way, if you go on one of the first nice warm days of the season, there's plenty of wild life to observe on the outside of the enclosures. Had a great dinner at a really nice Italian place on The Hill.

Second day. Headed out to U-Pick hardwoods. It was a little hard to get to but well worth the effort. I was impressed with the selection and how well everything was organized. Found some nice figured cherry and a couple of pieces of birdseye maple for some projects. They also had a great selection of walnut and picked a nice 8/4 piece. The exotics were great but passed on them. For you guys that have never met Eric, he looks just like his previous avatar. Just kidding. He and Craig are great guys. Tried to get my Wife to ask him if walnut took paint well and she wouldn't do it. Left there and spent the afternoon at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Wow, what a place. Every plant, bush and tree labeled. Wish we had more time to spend there. Really nice warm day, need I say more. Eye candy everywhere.

In the evening headed to St. Charles. Ate dinner at a place called Louis and Clarks. Great prime rib. Again wish we had more time to spend there.

I think we are going to hit Cahokia Mounds on the way home and get back to the grind.

Now that's what I like. A guy that picks his destination based on babes and food, oh, and wood