Shop build (I hope)

Jim DaddyO

Yes, the saw is on casters.

Been taking it easy for a bit.  Well, I have been busy with some small jobs and getting the yard work done and washing the car (finally).

I got some plywood and ripped it for the soffit.  Found some mistint solid colour stain at the local hardware store for 1/2 price.  That answers the question on what the trim colour will be.

DSC_8100_zpsindbgex0.jpg

DSC_8099_zpsy4kixzdr.jpg

Oil based stain, so it wants 24 hours between coats.  I will put the second coat on today and then more waiting.  Apart from sanding, I think waiting for finish to dry makes everyone excited (sarcasm).

Yes, the saw is on casters.

Been taking it easy for a bit.  Well, I have been busy with some small jobs and getting the yard work done and washing the car (finally).

I got some plywood and ripped it for the soffit.  Found some mistint solid colour stain at the local hardware store for 1/2 price.  That answers the question on what the trim colour will be.

DSC_8100_zpsindbgex0.jpg

DSC_8099_zpsy4kixzdr.jpg

Oil based stain, so it wants 24 hours between coats.  I will put the second coat on today and then more waiting.  Apart from sanding, I think waiting for finish to dry makes everyone excited (sarcasm).

Excited?   Oh yeah, cause now it's BEER time!

• Like 1

I got the vent done.  It was pretty easy once I got the method down and went quick so I wanted to get a feel for the new siding.

DSC_8111_zpsxh5ncn1w.jpg

It is a bit long, so I have to cut about 1 1/2" off the bottom after I snap a chalk line.  A trim board (frieze board?) will go in the top corner at the soffit, painted the same as the siding.

The colour debate continues.  I thought barn green, but we are also tossing around other ideas.  Maybe a deck stain?  Maybe we will just see what comes up on sale?

Architraves are the timber trims that go around the outside or inside of a window or doorway. Designed to tidy up the junction of cladding and window frame.

Oh, OK.  So that is the proper name for "window trim" then.  I will be doing that in the same colour (notice the "U" in there, Queens english...lol) as the soffit.  Thanks mate!

I think we are struggling with terminology across national borders.

I think you are right.

From Googling "Architrave window trim" I get the impression that it is the style where the top trim goes full width of the casing instead of being mitred at the corners.

I am not too confident in that though.

Architrave is a label for the main lateral members carrying the load between Classical Greek columns. Some carry this through to lintel in post and lintel, but out of Australia is the first I have heard it referring to an applied casing. Then again, I refer to sunrise even though I know the earth spins

• Like 1

Haha, international boarders and a whole lot of ocean! In Australia we refer to 2 things differently, Skirting and architraves. Skirting is as your base board, Architraves timber trims around windows and doors. Another thing, we always say the width of a piece of timber before the thickness. ie. You say 2 x 4 (I was trying to be America friendly earlier. We call them 4 x 2's, 8 x 2's 10 x 2's and so on. Well as we are now metric it is 100 x 50, 200 x 50 and 250 x 50. We go even deeper with planed timber and mention its dimensions as 90 x 45, 190 x 45 and 240 x 45.

Easy!!

• Like 1

Haha, international boarders and a whole lot of ocean! In Australia we refer to 2 things differently, Skirting and architraves. Skirting is as your base board, Architraves timber trims around windows and doors. Another thing, we always say the width of a piece of timber before the thickness. ie. You say 2 x 4 (I was trying to be America friendly earlier. We call them 4 x 2's, 8 x 2's 10 x 2's and so on. Well as we are now metric it is 100 x 50, 200 x 50 and 250 x 50. We go even deeper with planed timber and mention its dimensions as 90 x 45, 190 x 45 and 240 x 45.

Easy!!

That explains why Sellers always describes boards two ways (2x4 vs. 4x2.) I had no clue who he was doing that for.

My mum was a Brit, so hearing things like 4 x 2 does not sound odd to my ear at all.  Some other terms never came up in conversation, so I sometimes have to get clarification.  There are some terms that get awkward even when crossing the boarder from Canada and USA.  Now I am going to put on my toque and sit on the chesterfield with a two-four eh.....I am not worried about making a mess 'cause I have some serviettes.  :)

Thanks Dave!

• Like 1