Saving This Beautiful Piece of Walnut

Keggers

I have yet another find from my barn. This piece has some checking. I was hoping someone knew of a good way to save this beautiful board. I was thinking of "painting" some epoxy over it and then scraping off the excess, but I don't know how that would work. Any helpful suggestions?

I'm posting a picture of one side of the board in hopes the checks show up enough for you to see.

Thanks!

Kent

post-18-0-68108600-1430677724_thumb.jpg

What's the moisture level and intended use for the piece?  Also, how big is the piece?

If the checks go all the way thru, you can dam up the back and fill them with epoxy.

The moisture content is around 13%.  It's 1 3/8" thick x 7 1/2" wide x 15 5/8" long. My intended use is to sell it very soon. :)

Your screwed, the only way to save it is to send it my way.

Is the light surface checking what your worried about? Those don't look severe to me at all. Looks like a scraper could fix it quick

Brendon, some of the checks on the other side are a little deeper. Maybe 1/8" deep. I knew I could just run it through the planer a time or two but my goal was to keep the piece as thick as possible and let the end user have a thicker board to work with.

I use a vac underneath cracks and voids to pull the epoxy/glue in completely . I use an old hose & vac not the expensive Festool hose !

That's an interesting idea. I currently don't have an old shop vac and hose that I want to sacrifice. I still haven't done anything with this piece of wood. I think the simple thing to do is sell it like it is and let the buyer fix it as he/she pleases.

If you're just selling the board for someone else to use, do nothing.  Filling it with epoxy or some other method is concealing a defect and effectively making the customer think they're getting something better than they are...

My intent was NOT to conceal a defect but correcting one thus making the piece worth more and providing a customer service at the same time to the potential buyer.  I'd certainly inform any possible buyers of the process the piece went through.