TV Trays

..Kev

As I'll be heading out of town again soon, I was hesitant to post this in a running journal because I wasn't sure I'd get them finished before I left.  Since my progress was a bit better than I expected, I think I'll get them done. So, here's where they're at to date.

Client requested some simple TV trays and sent me this as a guide.  His only requests were darker, more sturdy, and 4 of them.

QlVkK0.jpg

Since I have plenty of walnut left over from the last job, just seemed the natural choice.  Rough stock milled and a template made for the handle.  Not too bad for a couple hours work.

bj7YuJ.jpg

Decided to go with some large fingers..  All roughed in, still some fine tuning to do..

z6hRXW.jpg

Stopped dados in the side rails. 

cddwcu.jpg

Handles shaped and a rough dry fit..  Lots of sanding and fitting to do!

fLYl4Y.jpg

Dry fit the bottoms

C2GS30.jpg

Stock all milled up for the legs

s49e9g.jpg

Legs rough fit - Domino joinery and will swivel on dowel pins

CjCsXm.jpg

Dowel pins set.  First look on the legs.

qVDWzt.jpg

The dreaded sanding..  Legs shaped and everything sanded to 120.

FHkhvz.jpg

Will be glueing up the trays in the next couple days..

• Like 1

Nice looking , stout construction, I'm guessing a bed and breakfast or boutique hotel ?

No, actually just in their home.  An older couple in Montana that likes to eat their meals in the livingroom.

I too appreciate and learn something from all your builds. You always make it look easier than it really is. Shop neat and clean, parts stacked nicely, dust collection hose up and out of the way. It's all the little things you do that make for Impressive work as usual.

Just a thought for you. have you considered magnets on the legs to keep them stowed?

I too appreciate and learn something from all your builds. You always make it look easier than it really is. Shop neat and clean, parts stacked nicely, dust collection hose up and out of the way. It's all the little things you do that make for Impressive work as usual.

Just a thought for you. have you considered magnets on the legs to keep them stowed?

The one they sent me just used friction to keep them closed and I built these the same way.  However, I have been giving some thought to doing something to assist in keeping them closed.

Thanks for the kind words!

Well, as usual, the client tossed a last minute change at me and wanted a cup holder.  I went ahead and finished this one up as glue was drying on the others.  Still might come back and add a "leg lock" but, the friction is working well for now.

USSQHd.jpg