Powermatic 66 blade height & tilt adjustment very hard

don_chuwish

Hello,

First post after joining, so hopefully I'm asking in the right place! ;-)

For years now I've enjoyed the Powermatic 66 in my father's shop - great cuts, large table & perfectly calibrated. But for years I've also been frustrated with how difficult it is to turn the blade height and tilt adjustment wheels. I don't even need to use the lock down knobs because I know nothing is moving unless I crouch down and put two hands on the wheel to crank it like some desperate submariner in a WWII movie.

I haven't yet had the guts to tear it all apart - partly because I can't afford the downtime right now, and mainly because of the worry about getting it all back together in good calibration. I don't remember it ever being easy to adjust, but I wasn't around for the first few years of it's use.

Does anyone else have this experience with the 66? It's from around '95 I think. Any known solutions? When I get the opportunity I want to take it apart for a good cleaning & lube job, but while there I'd like to have a game plan for fixing this problem!

Thanks,

- D

Clean and grease parts like these:   http://cdn1.thewoodwhisperer.com/wp-content/uploads/bens-rebuilt-tablesaw-6.jpg

If you can move it somewhere that drips won't stain anything, I've used carburetor cleaner more than a few times to get the gunk off the gears without taking the top off. You can reach in there with the straw in the nozzle, and aim it where it needs to go without being able to see every bit of what you are cleaning.  Don't let it bounce back in your eyes.

I don't remember what sort of lube I use.  It's in the "Tablesaw" toolbox and has lasted for many years, but it's some sort of dry lube-probably a Teflon.