bench dog clamp

Brendon_t

I have been looking around for a suitable way to hold boards on my bench while planing and other general tasks. Without a tail vise, it becomes difficult to hold varying length boards enough to accomplish anything. I have seen the veritas wonder dog which is about what I'm looking for but just wondering if there are any other alternatives?

You could install a tail vice.. You could drop in some T-Track.. Or, the wonder dog is a viable option.

Suggest considering the long term needs of the bench when making your decision.

The long term prospects of this bench is to be used as firewood. I get by with the current bench but am counting down the days until I build a big heavy monstrosity of a bench. Unfortunately, that's not on the short list of projects.

The long term prospects of this bench is to be used as firewood. I get by with the current bench but am counting down the days until I build a big heavy monstrosity of a bench. Unfortunately, that's not on the short list of projects.

Sounds like it needs to be moved up the priority list ;)

I just built this one for a friend of mine.  The leg and rail material are Hemlock (I get that free) and he snagged a top at the Grizzly tent sale for 225 bucks.  He still has to order the expensive hardware but, you really can do these inexpensively if you keep your eye out for good deals..  I think I showed some pics of the progress on this one in the chat channel???

YVWrHS.jpg

• Like 1

Or you could add a face vice in the tail position like I plan to do on my workbench.  (If I ever finish it) Then you have the pop up dog and the ability to clamp like a regular vice if the need arises.

That veritas inset vise is pretty nifty though.  I just don't like the idea of metal in my workbench top if I can avoid it.  I am sure I would ding a freshly sharpened chisel or plane on it personally.

When I finally get around to building a bench, I expect it to be the last bench I ever build. Recently, i have been experimenting a lot More with hand tools and I am reluctant to build a forever bench until I have my personal workflow ironed out. I have a face vise with the ability to hold but it doesn't do well with planing down the length of the piece.

When I finally hey around to building a bench, I expect it will be thelast bench I ever build. Recently, i have been experimenting a lot More with hams tools and I am reluctant to build a forever bench until I have my personal workflow ironed out. I have a face vise with the ability to hold but it doesn't do well with planing down the length of the piece.

Very fair!  Hard to plan a proper bench if you're not certain of the flow.

Here's the current bench. It's the $150 HF special that has done ok for me for the price. As you can see' there is a tail vise ( that is worthless) on the right end. I think the dog holes are spaced appropriately. Just need a way to hold the work solid on the long axis

post-16319-0-70153300-1430766415_thumb.j

Ok, it's a HF bench..  You need some clamping pressure out of that tail vise.  I'm curious how you're not getting that out of it?

I would think that would do as well as any contraption you could put in a dog hole?

• Like 1

I have torn the tail vise off to try and figure that out also. The main problem is that it is made of such weak material that when a tiny bit of pressure is applied, it rocks back lifting the work piece 1/2 off of the table. I cold actually slightly beND the screw piece with hand pressure.

Got ya.. I have one of those cheap vises on my OF table so, feel your pain.  I'll be replacing that vise soon!

So, just a thought..  How about replacing that vise with a good one that you can reuse on a future bench?  Or, at a minimum, you can get most of your money out of.

• Like 1

I have considered that. The problem I keep running into is that next to the bench on the right is a freezer. being right handed, I need to be able to plane from right to left starting about 20"in.otherwise, my elbow smacks that damn freezer. This is where I feel the bench dog option would shine.

I have considered that. The problem I keep running into is that next to the bench on the right is a freezer. being right handed, I need to be able to plane from right to left starting about 20"in.otherwise, my elbow smacks that damn freezer. This is where I feel the bench dog option would shine.

Many people advocate planing with just an end stop with out clamping the piece in a tail/wagon vise.  Maybe look into those techniques instead of adding a different way to clamp onto that bench?

Brendon, Terry turned me onto some holdfast that will work with that thickness. They are Sjobergs ST03 and are sold thru the store like HD and Lowes that's up north (can't remember the name) they work damn well!

Coop I'm definitely going to have to check them out. I never thought hold fasts would be an option with this bench.

Wtn, if they will work I'm goint to give these a try. The only thing I could find was a video by englishwoodworker seems like a very viable option

As my bench was already built, I couldn't use the drill press to drill the holes. My first 2 or three left a lot to be desired with a hand held drill, although it looked like I was drilling them straight. I finally bought a drill guide and now they're as perfect as I'll ever get.  If you want to borrow the bit and guide, let me know.