Boiled Linseed Oil Question

Bevans

I am making a dresser using white oak and Boiled Linseed Oil instead of stain. I will finish with a poly. Do you guys that use BLO apply it to the inside as well? I will spray a coat of finish on both sides when I get to that point but it seems like a waste to apply the BLO to places that will not be seen. Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

No.  Do not oil the inside.  First, there's no need to finish both sides of a piece.  This ongoing myth has been debunked several times by finishing expert Bob Flexner.  It's a completely unnecessary step.

However, and more importantly, oil finishes will off gas for some time, sometimes years. When you use an oil finish on the inside of a case or chest, the smell will linger for a very long time.  Anything you put in the piece will take on that smell. If you absolutely have to coat the inside of a piece (for example, the inside of a cabinet with a glass door where the inside will be visible in the finished piece), allow the color coat to dry sufficiently (if coloring) then seal with shellac.  Once shellac is dry it is odorless, and more importantly, it will prevent odors from underlying finishes from building up inside the piece.

• Like 1