clamp rack that locks

duckkisser

my shop classroom has just recently moved and it is placed right in the middle of the building.  so people walk through from time to time and I want to make sure our clamps wont be stolen.  because of the weight of the clamps we cant hang on the drywall and more importantly my boss said no :)  so I was planning on making a self standing clamp stand similar to this but we need to secure the clamps when were no in the room. http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/store/media/ecom/prodxl/28-149700.jpg

The real issue is that there are several different kinds of clamps.  If you only had parallel clamps, a locking bar or 2 would do the trick.

You could drill a hole in each one and string a cable thru them?

The real issue is that there are several different kinds of clamps. If you only had parallel clamps, a locking bar or 2 would do the trick.

You could drill a hole in each one and string a cable thru them?

That would be difficult for a obvious reasons frankly I would not lock up since it's too hard to unlock doing that

Duck, what if you use a rack like you posted with a door of some sort that covers the outside, so the clamps can't be lifted off?

Won't that just make a huge super heavy cabinet/rack that ends up being too unwieldy ?

The little rug rats are just trying to re-stock dad's shop?

Break their knuckles!

I teach at a special Ed school for kids with bad behavior issues so if they take a pipe clamp it's to hit someone over the head and steal their car....think junior prison but honestly I'm more worried about the staff (there job is too watch the kids and redirect their behaviors) some of them are questionable humans and work at our job because no one else will take them. Not all but for example one staff helped her nephew escape from prison to beat a murder charge and while escaping he beat a guard almost to death. Most are regular folks who just want to get a day's pay and some realy love their job but it just take one bad staff to take all our stuff.

Maybe but then I have a big sheet of ply to do something with need to keep it as simple as can be.

I don't know what's more simple than one sheet of ply. If a wire, bar, cover, seperate room are oUT of the question, we're running out of options

I thought of something that would take a minute to lock and unlock, but it might fit your needs...

Start with this kind of rack, and drill holes for rods across the front of each row of fingers, and also holes in the sides.  After putting the clamps in, push rods through the holes to keep the clamps from being pulled out the front, and through the holes in the sides to keep the clamps from being lifted up.

The rods have loops on one end, and you use a cable, screw eyes, and a padlock to keep people from pulling the rods out.

This isn't clear - if you can't figure out what I mean, I'll see if I can whip up a sketchup drawing.

I thought of something that would take a minute to lock and unlock, but it might fit your needs...

Start with this kind of rack, and drill holes for rods across the front of each row of fingers, and also holes in the sides.  After putting the clamps in, push rods through the holes to keep the clamps from being pulled out the front, and through the holes in the sides to keep the clamps from being lifted up.

The rods have loops on one end, and you use a cable, screw eyes, and a padlock to keep people from pulling the rods out.

This isn't clear - if you can't figure out what I mean, I'll see if I can whip up a sketchup drawing.

I can imagine it only thing is if you have a loop at one end and the rod is going into the fingers what will secure it on the end in the wood what would stop anyone from pulling all the rods out. Was thinking of puting a hinged strip of wood in front of the clamps an d then have we rod going through eye hooks to lock the wood rack closed and locked.