Brendon's small shop tour

Brendon_t

So I've been saying for a while that I was going to do a shop tour. I finished an ars wipe down at a decent hour so I took some pics. I can't figure how to add the narrative for each shot below or above it so each burst will be guided up here.this is the view from the house door. I was gifted the front half of the garage to do as I will. As you may see, some of my stuff still makes it's way to her side. Ie fishing rods, gun safe, snowboards, 4 compound bows..ooh well.

post-16319-0-80573300-1430800696_thumb.j

here is the view from the door.

post-16319-0-92188500-1430800833_thumb.j

standing in front of the band saw, my main tool box which is actually used more than my bench because I love the height. Nestled between the tool box and shop made router cabinet is my delta drill press.

post-16319-0-74598900-1430800970_thumb.j

Here is the small shop saver for me. The rack holds a lot of tools that I just don't use all the time to keep out ie. mitre saw, battery charger, scroll saw, or tools I use all the time and I want handy like planes and sanders. This is also my drill hanging and charging station. The top shelf holds usable shorts up to 2x2 sized. The ends of the racks serve as clamp holders. Pipe clamps on one, f style on another and jet parallel clamps on the other end. Works great to not use wall space or throw them in a corner.

post-16319-0-79796000-1430801231_thumb.j

Beside the rack is the only vertical wood storage. 10 foot ceilings let me hord a bit but never get over zealous.

post-16319-0-36694700-1430801363_thumb.j

Turning right' here is my table saw island. Also used as work surface #2 when not needed for cutting. I've used 1/4" ply to box in the stand for some semblance of dust collection.

post-16319-0-08473600-1430801489_thumb.j

Here is my dust collection unit. It's a mostly home built unit but uses dust right flex hose and 5 micron bag. From it's current location under the t's rail, it can easily reach the band saw port, router table port, jointer/ planer table and drum sander without moving although it is on wheels if I feel like bringing it closer.

This also shows my dinky little jointer. It works..up to about 36" after that, hand plane does it's job. The planer also sits under the white table. To use the jointer, the table stays in place. Planing I just scoot it out into the isle and plane toward the garage door.

post-16319-0-58514400-1430801841_thumb.j

Quarter turn right lives the DS and air compressor.

post-16319-0-73276100-1430801900_thumb.j

HF $150 bench special with added face vise. The included tail vise is past worthless so it just holds all the 3'+ cut offs wedged between the bench and the freezer. I have 3 full sandbags on the lower shelves in back to give some weight and all joints were glued and screwed for better performance. To be quite honest, the bench is really my #3 choice working location because of the height. It sits at 33". I'm a tall guy, it just isn't comfortable for long periods of time.

Thus concludes tour of my area. It measures 12'x18'. Would I like more space, yup. Do I constantly cuss the only two outlets out there? He'll yes. BUT, I don't ever look at my space as keeping me from doing anything. 6 months ago, I built a 43"x79" solid oak front door in there. It's my creative refuge from everything as well as a great place to just go do nothing if I want to not be bugged by the kids.

I hope this gives an idea or two to the small space guys and a good laugh to you cavernous shop people.

• Like 2

I definitely see a re-organization of my shop in the very near future. I don't share my shop with a washer or dryer or wife's car and I have to sometimes to refer to old pics to help find my table saw.

Brendon, nice, neat and organized!

Thanks. It normally isn't quite that organized. I'm at the finishing stages of a few projects so the toolbox top explosion had been mostly put away. I do a bit of housekeeping after every session but when I'm in the thick of something, I'll have clamps strewn about, glue bottles, sandpaper, shavings..laying around everywhere. Pretty much everything in my shop has a place. If at any time I can't find a tool I need, I have to stop and pick up. Ocd much?

Nice snap-on box!

Thanks. That's my baby. I was a bmw mechanic in a former life. I remember once thinking there was no way I'd ever fill it. That lasted about a year once I found out the snap-on truck would give a line of credit. . Ooh boy.

Thanks. That's my baby. I was a bmw mechanic in a former life. I remember once thinking there was no way I'd ever fill it. That lasted about a year once I found out the snap-on truck would give a line of credit. . Ooh boy.

My dad has a Mac box (although mostly full of Snap-On tools, the Mac box was cheaper but he preferred SO hand tools) about as wide as yours with a top box on it as well.  And it is full.  Needless to say, I do most of my wrenching at his place. 

I thought I noticed you mention a Snap-On cordless driver the other day, now it all makes sense.

https://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=646593&group_ID=682669

Yup. This guy right here. it is an amazing tool. The forward/back toggle is a rheostat allowing great control. And even as a tiny guy, I think it puts out 50+ inlb of torque. awesome little tool I highly recommend.

I have a very few mac or matco branded tools Mostly from trades (which we did a lot of) snap on just fit my hands better.

• Like 1

Reading my response made me chuckle a bit. I throw up a little bit in my mouth looking at the prices of some green tools yet there's probably a CT vac and kapex in the wrench drawer, domino xl with all the fixins in the screwdriver drawer, and the left half of the display case in the two socket set drawers. . I'm an idiot...

• Like 1

Yeah, professional grade automotive tools are no joke.  I've been eyeballing a snap on 1/4" drive ratchet for working on my motorcycle.  They have one with 72 teeth!  So many clicks, must have.....  But then what length do I get?  LOL maybe the medium and the long handled one.  Or I'll just live with my grandpa's old 32 tooth version and be happy its not craftsman. 

I can't stand craftsman hand tools.  My dad spoiled me with the good stuff. 

He used to pick me up from school and take me to work with him.  I'd wipe down all his tools and put them away while he finished up the last couple tasks for the day.  Not sure how many PDI's I did as a 12 year old.  Do all the windows and doors switches work, don't check the sunroof box if the car doesn't have a sunroof, etc. etc.... LOL 

Yeah the 1/4 drives are nice. I only have three though. A 1.5" circle thumb ratchet, 3" and 4.5".I figure all the leverage I will need to apply through a 1/4" action can come from one of the three.

Opposite of you, I grew up on craftsman tools. For 1/5 the price, I think they are at least half the tool. A good option for someone who doesn't need their tools to make them money. Or to work flawlessly, every time * )

How does the retro fitted dust collection work on your tablesaw? I've got a porter cable contractors saw, much like your delta, I've been toying with the idea of taking off the stand and making a cabinet for the lower section to add dust collection, the little 2 1/2" port sucks, and not in a good way! The only thing stopping me is I don't know if it will be effective enough to justify the work and I haven't figured out how to add the integrated mobile base back on it if I switch it.

Brendon, how's that air compressor?  I only have a pancake compressor but wanted to get something bigger so I can spray finishes.

(and ditto dabro on the snap-on box, I may have drooled a little when I looked at that pic!)

How does the retro fitted dust collection work on your tablesaw? I've got a porter cable contractors saw, much like your delta, I've been toying with the idea of taking off the stand and making a cabinet for the lower section to add dust collection, the little 2 1/2" port sucks, and not in a good way! The only thing stopping me is I don't know if it will be effective enough to justify the work and I haven't figured out how to add the integrated mobile base back on it if I switch it.

It works s lot better than having nothing. Being a contractor saw, the motor and belt hang off of the back. I made a cover plate with the arch of the swing cut out of it. The enclosed area has ply "ramps" that funnel the dust into a trough that terminates at the 4"port. Top of the blade collection is not very good. I would recommend a blade cover with DC port if your super worried about it. Under Cabinet collection is quite good. The air coming from the back area and front angle guide feed enough air through the turbulent suction area that I never have dust in the bin. Hope that helps.

matt, this compressor is an oldie but a goodie. It loads up pretty fast for a 30 gal 6hp but it is loud without the muffler on.

that being said, I don't spray finish. I have had a few consult on what would be needed to spray and I just haven't done it. With how long it takes to deplete pressure using a 1/2 inch impact and 3/8 pneumatic wrench, I have no doubt I could use it. I just haven't.

And thanks for the compliment. I'll be sure to call you if I ever need go move it again. I had to unload it half way last time for it to not rack the shops 2 post car lift.

• Like 1

It works s lot better than having nothing. Being a contractor saw, the motor and belt hang off of the back. I made a cover plate with the arch of the swing cut out of it. The enclosed area has ply "ramps" that funnel the dust into a trough that terminates at the 4"port. Top of the blade collection is not very good. I would recommend a blade cover with DC port if your super worried about it. Under Cabinet collection is quite good. The air coming from the back area and front angle guide feed enough air through the turbulent suction area that I never have dust in the bin. Hope that helps.

it does, thanks. My saw is all enclosed in the base so that would simplify it a bit. Thanks for the info!

Yup. This guy right here. it is an amazing tool. The forward/back toggle is a rheostat allowing great control. And even as a tiny guy, I think it puts out 50+ inlb of torque. awesome little tool I highly recommend.

I have a very few mac or matco branded tools Mostly from trades (which we did a lot of) snap on just fit my hands better.

I have the older version of this. Works very well for driving screws for hinges and such... No fear of over torquing them :)

I have that one the wife decided it needed to stay in the house so she can use it when needed.

post-5350-0-42498500-1430927423_thumb.jp

Don you're not alone. My wife commandeered my first one so I actually but the newer upgraded version and let her keep my original for god knows whatever she wants to do around the house

when she first asked if she could have it I'm pretty sure I said something like what use do you have for this in the kitchen. weirdly I don't think she appreciated that

Don you're not alone. My wife commandeered my first one so I actually but the newer upgraded version and let her keep my original for god knows whatever she wants to do around the house

when she first asked if she could have it I'm pretty sure I said something like what use do you have for this in the kitchen. weirdly I don't think she appreciated that

They tend to do that. Mine is a screw driver thief.

Wow Brendon you have alot of stuff in a small space! Looks well organised. I have a small space myself, i know what its like! Sometimes i think id rather a bigger space but like you said its really not stopping me from building anything i want in there.