Roadway Research

pghmyn

I haven't been too active around here because school and work have been eating all my free time. But, I also have a second job as well now that I don't mind how much of my time it takes.

I am a handful of classes away from finishing up my degree in structural engineering. The professor for one of my classes offered an opportunity to the class to work as a research assistant for a project with him. I applied and have been working in the lab for about a month now. I work with another student and our responsibility is to run all the tests on the samples and then interpret the data at the end.

The basis of the research is about saving rebar in bridge decks. Living in Wisconsin, especially Milwaukee, we get weather mood swings like no other. One hour it could be 65 and sunny, then before you know it, it is 10 and snowing. With that snow, comes ice, then salt on the roads.

Concrete is a porous material. Eventually the salty water will make it through the deck, passing alongside the embedded rebar, and corroding it from the inside out.

Proposed solutions are "thin polymer overlays" which are just a layer of epoxy with different types of aggregate on top. This waterproofs the concrete, while still providing traction to vehicles.

Most exciting part to me is that my professor will be taking us in the field to bridges around the state to do tests on this system currently in place.

It's also nice to get some extra money while already being on campus. Instead of sitting around between classes when I have nothing to do, I can go work in the lab.

I often wondered why rebar is not coated to prevent rusting.

There is a lot of rebar that is coated with an epoxy. But this only goes so far. With the expansion and contraction of cement and rebar, the epoxy eventually wears off. Each material expands and contracts at different rates per degree.

Shut up and build something out of wood.

:D

I built a table in the lab, if that counts. Just extra working surface :)

Or build something out of rebar. Break out the welder and the helmet!

I do plan on getting a welder soon! I want it for two things. First, I want to incorporate metal into my projects. Second, I always wanted to build a go cart.

I live in Illinios. Similar climate, more corruption.  Roads are designed to fail every 5 years so a new governor can award new contracts and keep the illinois tollway authority stocked with political appointees.  

I live in Illinios. Similar climate, more corruption. Roads are designed to fail every 5 years so a new governor can award new contracts and keep the illinois tollway authority stocked with political appointees.

Move to Indiana!
  • Like 1