Pair o' Nightstands

Eric.

Been looking forward to seeing these since you mentioned them. You didn't disappoint. They look awesome. The dovetails are hand cut right?

Great job.

You didn't answer the question, are they? If they are, you deserve the lube in the drawer cause those things are tight!

You didn't answer the question, are they? If they are, you deserve the lube in the drawer cause those things are tight!

Yes, they're hand cut.  And it only took me two days to do it. :rolleyes:

How these guys hammer out perfect dovetails in five minutes...I'll never understand.

How these guys hammer out perfect dovetails in five minutes...I'll never understand.

That would have been nerve wracking. I would have made the boxes first. Just in case I needed a bit thinner case after the first try.

I can really see you're starting to develop your own unique design style.

That's one way of looking at it.  Another is that I'm in a creative hibernation and I'm just going through the motions.  Kind of how it feels right now.  I need to shift gears but I don't know where I'm going.

But thanks for the compliment!

That would have been nerve wracking. I would have made the boxes first. Just in case I needed a bit thinner case after the first try.

Hand cutting dovetails isn't as difficult as it's made out to be in the woodworking ether.  With a little practice and a lot of patience, it can be done and done well...it's just a matter of how long it takes.  As long as you know where to cut and you're able to make that cut...you're golden.  I'll admit, I probably won't be doing any more for a while.  That's enough for 2015.  A Leigh D4R is on my short list. :)

I've hand cut about 4 full drawers in the last few months. All on scrap boards and all just for practice. It is a very slow and meticulous process for me. I've also found that the hardness of the wood makes a huge difference. Anyway, they look superb.

I really like your nightstands..I'm so set in my ways that the dovetails showing on the drawer face seems to break up the nice lines.  But that's because I'm old & picky  :-)...and dislike change :-)  ..these will look terrific in your home.  The drawer pulls are very appealing.

Nice work Kiki.  I like the deep drawers... usually night stands have tiny drawers that don't fit much.  The larger drawers show off the birdseye maple and let you store more lube all at the same time.

I concur, the drawer pulls are probably my favorite part.   Mahogany is a joy to work, isn't it?   It machines better than any domestic species.  

I really like your nightstands..I'm so set in my ways that the dovetails showing on the drawer face seems to break up the nice lines.  But that's because I'm old & picky  :-)...and dislike change :-)  ..these will look terrific in your home.  The drawer pulls are very appealing.

I hear you...admittedly it's a bit showy but I'm a sucker for exposed joinery.  I think it's a little more acceptable on an Asian-flavored piece, but it's not for everyone.  I was a little worried about them being a bit boring without some measure of flair added...but it's all a matter of taste.  I appreciate your feedback though!

Nice work Kiki.  I like the deep drawers... usually night stands have tiny drawers that don't fit much.  The larger drawers show off the birdseye maple and let you store more lube all at the same time.

I concur, the drawer pulls are probably my favorite part.   Mahogany is a joy to work, isn't it?   It machines better than any domestic species.  

No doubt.  It's like butta.  My favorite species to work, although it does bother my nose a bit when I sand it.

they are not perfect.... I am sure if you saw those 5 minute dovetails in person you would be disappointed.  Just a guess.   Look at a lot of antique hand cut dovetails and it becomes obvious they were striving for utility over beauty.  I think the 5 minute dovetails fits into that category.  

they are not perfect.... I am sure if you saw those 5 minute dovetails in person you would be disappointed.  Just a guess.   Look at a lot of antique hand cut dovetails and it becomes obvious they were striving for utility over beauty.  I think the 5 minute dovetails fits into that category.  

I'm sure you're right.  I guess you can either go for quick joints that fit or nice clean joints...but it's gonna take a ton of practice to get both.  I'm not sure I'll ever put enough hours in to get there.