Pair o' Nightstands

Eric.

Sculpted Rocker? ;)

Yeah, as tempting as it is - I've always wanted to build one just like everyone else - I've got absolutely no reason to build one right now and nowhere to put it if I did.  My sister will most likely have a baby eventually...that'll be a good excuse.  Hand tool cabinet must come next.  Must.

Those are real, and spectacular.

Double points for a Seinfeld reference.

pretty pretty good.  pretty pretty good.  

Triple points for a Curb reference.

==>Yeah, as tempting as it is - I've always wanted to build one just like everyone else - I've got absolutely no reason to build one right now and nowhere to put it if I did

If that doesn't resonate...

I've been interested in building one for quite some time and figured the Guild would be an excuse, but no... Wife doesn’t want one... Thought of building one for Mom – but no joy --- big rockers are for ‘old ladies’... Mother-in-Law? Thanks, but no thanks...  The big issue is space: the photos remove context -- a Maloof-style rocker requires a big footprint...

BTW: Like the tables – The drawer pulls deserve an article in FWW...   But it will take effort, courage and self-discipline to leave Church of the Exposed Joinery(CEJ)... Don’t worry; if you haven’t been in the cult all that long, the de-programming is usually successful... Joinery Anonymous(JA) has a 12-step program that can help you... I'm a recovering JA myself --- having worshiped the false idols of Exposed Joinery(EJ) for many years, I can proudly say I've been EJ-free for 876 days.... :)

==>secret hidden mitrered dovetails

I've yet to get the HMD right... Something is always off...

Admitting that I couldn’t control my Exposed-Joinery Addiction (EJA) was the first step to recovery... I found a higher-power to restore my joinery sanity (Thomas Chippendale)... Then came the long and painful process of revisiting past pieces, replacing offending drawers and case components while apologizing those I've offended... I have saved my first piece for last... I will successfully replace my first drawer proclaiming, “I can saw hand-cut dovetails --- I must be damn good at this sh*t – admire my work – you have no choice”... When complete, I will have made amends for my past behavior and learn to live a life free from EJ... The addiction will always remain, but I can cut one joint at a time without EJ....

The final step is to help others who suffer from the same compulsion...

Boy am I board on vacation: no TV, no fiber, no broadband and my French sucks – more wine anyone? :)

• Like 2

I agree that exposed joinery can seem a bit self-indulgent.  But I can't help it...I like it...sometimes.  I think when used with restraint on appropriate and otherwise unadorned pieces, it can be a desirable design feature.  On a period piece?  No, of course not.  On a piece with intricate moldings, carvings, a profusion of inlay?  Nope, no good.  But let's face it...these nightstands I built are just boxes with legs...without some visual interest they'd just be...boxes with legs.

I personally find the precisely-executed marriage of two pieces of wood to be nearly as beautiful as the wood itself.  That visual flavoring is one of the things that keeps me excited about woodworking.  The few people who have seen these pieces in person...the first thing they've all done was run a finger down the length of the dovetails on the front of the drawer.  It provides the visual stimulation desired by the average observer...the question is: does that make me a wood whore?  I think the answer is a bit subjective, depending on who you ask.

Ultimately the exposed joinery was a conscious and calculated decision that comes with the inherent risk of a piece looking like it was built by an egomaniac...a risk I was well aware of and deliberated upon...and one that I'm willing to take on occasion.  I'm sticking to my guns...I like the exposed joints on this piece.  So shut up.  :D

Not to sound defensive...not everyone is going to agree with every decision someone else makes, and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.  It's okay...they're sitting next to MY bed, so I'm the only one who has to live with it.  :)

I do think it's an important conversation to have though...

• Like 1

I love exposed joinery. Part of that is probably because I've only been doing this a couple years so I still get excited about executing a joint correctly and want to show it off. But part of it is also that I just like how it looks. Eric's right that it depends on scale as well and how much visual interest is already in the piece. On these tables it adds something cool to look at on an otherwise simple piece. Very cool.

(Of course "simple" shouldn't be taken as pejorative here, though I probably don't even need to say that.)

==>I like the exposed joints on this piece.  So shut up.  :D

Taking that first step is the hardest... :)

==>they're sitting next to MY bed, so I'm the only one who has to live with it.  :)

Of course.... What happens in your bedroom is your business....  :)

Remember, JA is always here to help those suffering from Excessive Joinery Denial (EjD)  -- and they are working on a little blue pill for that... :)

I agree that exposed joinery can seem a bit self-indulgent.  But I can't help it...I like it...sometimes.  I think when used with restraint on appropriate and otherwise unadorned pieces, it can be a desirable design feature.  On a period piece?  No, of course not.  On a piece with intricate moldings, carvings, a profusion of inlay?  Nope, no good.  But let's face it...these nightstands I built are just boxes with legs...without some visual interest they'd just be...boxes with legs.

I personally find the precisely-executed marriage of two pieces of wood to be nearly as beautiful as the wood itself.  That visual flavoring is one of the things that keeps me excited about woodworking.  The few people who have seen these pieces in person...the first thing they've all done was run a finger down the length of the dovetails on the front of the drawer.  It provides the visual stimulation desired by the average observer...the question is: does that make me a wood whore?  I think the answer is a bit subjective, depending on who you ask.

Ultimately the exposed joinery was a conscious and calculated decision that comes with the inherent risk of a piece looking like it was built by an egomaniac...a risk I was well aware of and deliberated upon...and one that I'm willing to take on occasion.  I'm sticking to my guns...I like the exposed joints on this piece.  So shut up.  :D

Not to sound defensive...not everyone is going to agree with every decision someone else makes, and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.  It's okay...they're sitting next to MY bed, so I'm the only one who has to live with it.  :)

I do think it's an important conversation to have though...

The joints are very nice and so is the over all appearance of your "boxes with legs"  I think the fit and look of the pulls trumps the EJ 

Those groovy Bell Bottoms would have carried it regardless.

I very much appreciate this discussion on design.

A simple showcase of a recent (really well done) project has turned into a quality conversation regarding personal aesthetic and the "what's-what" of design decisions.

Like the "golden rule" thread, there is a lot here for new-comers who have the desire to develop a personal style.

Thanks guys.

Please carry on with the ribbing...it's valuable stuff.

• Like 1

==>Like the "golden rule" thread, there is a lot here for new-comers who have the desire to develop a personal style.

raison d'être for this section of WTO:

And don't get me started with Golden Section -- next we'll be talking Ley Lines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line-- and it'll be the comfy chair for you lot...

==>Please carry on with the ribbing...it's valuable stuff.

If we want to give a right drubbing... I mean ribbing...constructive feedback... whatever... we could start with.... Well, maybe next time... There's only so much love I can share with Kiki in one go before he starts moding my posts... :)

I was serious though; I've been retrofitting drawers and affixing decorative moldings on old pieces for a couple of years... Some time ago, I went hog-wild with gratuitous decorative joinery... My very first offender is getting an update when I get access to a friend's shop...

If the piece is for you -- anything goes... It just becomes personal taste...

But if you want to sell you designs, then less is often more...

I don't mind the ribbing and I appreciate honest feedback.  I knew the exposed joints would be the most "controversial" part of these pieces and I half expected someone to bring it up in a critical way.  It doesn't bother me and Trip has a very legitimate argument.  My only worthy rebuttal is that if these were Shaker nightstands I wouldn't have dreamed of using exposed joints, but I think on a design like this one they add more than they detract.  That's my opinion.  Not everyone will agree.  I'm not a flashy person or an attention-seeker by nature...you'll never catch me in a yellow sports car or wearing jewelry.  But I do enjoy putting my skills on display in my work when I think I can get away with it in a relatively subtle manner.  "Relatively" being the key word and the part that's fair game for interpretation.

I guess when you boil it all the way down, the question becomes why use advanced joinery at all if it won't be seen and adds nothing to the strength?  For the light use those drawers will be required to outlive, a reinforced rabbet would be perfectly fine.  Why even use half-blind dovetails if they're unnecessary?  Would that be ego-driven showiness?  How about pocket screws?  They'll hold a drawer together just fine if aesthetics are unimportant.

Why not use those joints?  Because they add neither visual appeal nor the craftsman's fingerprints that give a piece that indefinable character and charm.  When some descendant of mine finally takes a close look at these nightstands a hundred years from now, the hope is that person will say, "Wow, Great-Great-Gpa really cared about his work.  You can see that."  Not that I'll care at that time because I'll be dead meat daddio, but it makes me feel good NOW.  And in the meantime, I like looking at it. :)

Exposed or accentuated joinery is one of the major ways to add decorative embellishments to a piece.

To a basic shape you can cut curves and tapers in the components, add inlay, marquetry, moldings, carvings, grain matching, and/or exposed joints.

It's the combination and judicious use of these elements which make the final product appealing, or otherwise. 

G&G furniture makes no effort to conceal the pegged & rounded finger joints and (among other things) that is a fundamental feature of the style.

Stickley furniture shows off tusk tenons and the grain of QSWO.