Baseball bats for Mr. H

joe mendel

Got a call from Sandy Alderson in New York.  Seems like the Mets have a long-in-the-tooth rookie named Hobbs on the way up from the minors and he needs custom bats.  Evidently, this new guy has a flare for the dramatic about breaking his favorite bat, so they need some in reserve---FIVE DOZEN!  

Lets Go Mets! 

post-17724-0-81682600-1430866170_thumb.j

• Like 1

What do you put on a bat for finish?  BLO?   Also, what kind of specs do they give you for bats?  Do you get a specific target weight, diameter and length?   Seems like one could be pretty darn picky about the particulars of a bat and seems like each piece of wood could be a little different. 

Turning 5 dozen bats sounds about as much fun as peeling a ton of potatoes. Cool that you're gonna be the one to turn them. I'm just surprised that they don't get some wood bats from Louisville or something and have them laser etched or whatever. I'm sure the Mets could afford some laser engraving and such. Seems like an odd request. (My dad used to work for the Mets before they closed down Shea and opened CitiField)

What do you put on a bat for finish?  BLO?   Also, what kind of specs do they give you for bats?  Do you get a specific target weight, diameter and length?   Seems like one could be pretty darn picky about the particulars of a bat and seems like each piece of wood could be a little different. 

Pros are very particular about their bats.  Ted Williams used to go to Louisville each off season and go through the lumber yard and hand pick the lumber he wanted:  Straight grain with no long grain run-out, and the annual rings had to be all less than 1/8" apart and running straight parallel to each other.  Too Picky?  The man hit .406 in 1946 and he went 6 for 8 on the last day of the season to do it.  He may have been on to something.

I spray all my bats with a catalyzed lacquer.