Aureoles after drying of thinned varnish?

bttab

I recently learned of the varnish technique of applying several thin coats, half varnish, half white spirits, with a cloth (originally from the Wood Whisperer site).  I decided to try it out for the last coats on a new oak countertop that I'm varnishing.  It was prepared by sanding and degreasing with acetone.  I'm applying a polyurethane with a white spirit base, and had already completed two coats.  It'd been dry for days, and then it was lightly sanded and the dust removed with a cloth dampened with white spirits.  

I made the 50/50 mix and poured some on, spreading it with the cloth, then finishing by pulling it from end to end in the direction of the wood grain.  That was yesterday.  Today, midday, I went to examine the finish.  It's beautiful everywhere -- except in a few places in the middle there are aureoles!  They are about the size of a quarter.  I've never seen this with a polyurethane varnish.  I'll attach a photo.  

Given the prep, and the previous coats without issue, it can't be a problem of oil or something else in the wood.  Has anyone seen this?  

I can only suspect a surface tension problem of some kind during drying.  Either it was maybe locally too thick there (although I don't understand how), or this particular varnish is incompatible with this technique?

FYI, here is the link to the product:  http://www.linitop.com/index.php?langue=en&page=produits-vernis

post-17869-0-24349000-1431167505_thumb.j

They look more like areolas than aureoles.  Probably caused by aliens.  Sorry, that's all I know.

Agreed.

Those look like the marks left by the "Salt Monster" in the very first Star Trek episode (The Man Trap).

trekmantrap3.jpg