Marc's Rocker

Coop

Are most guild members planning on building this amazing piece? I'm at awe when I see the the ones at Cracker Barrell, and they are stamped out by the hundreds.

It may look and rock like an old HD shopping cart, but I've gotta try it

Would like to build one, always wanted to build one, would be a fun project ---- but the women in my life all declined: Wife, Mom, Mom-in-law... One stated that large rockers are, “For old women”... I’ll let you guess which one... The other two declined on the basis of required footprint -- a Maloof-style rocker requires quite a bit more floor space then the photos hint at... Before you commit to the lumber, I’d suggest you tape-out the footprint and see if the thing actually fits in the intended location...

Find yourself some photos of a Maloof rocker in a room setting --- see if it fits your space...

I do plan on building one if not two to replace big leather wing back chairs in my formal sitting Room. I think this will come after the bench build as I think work holding will be very important in the sculpting phase and that's my sad little benches major downfall.

What rocking chair you guys are talking about? I didn't see it listed under the Guild projects tag on Marc's website. Is membership required to see the pictures of it? Because I'm no member not yet.

One the guild home page, it's the first one under "Available Projects".  I logged out to make sure that you could see it without a membership.

He isn't done yet, but if you go to Charles Brock's page you can see photos. You can probably Google "Maloof" style rocker and see lots of photos. I am currently working on Brock's Bowtie Stool, but the rocker will follow.

I'm assuming you bought the pattern?

How is the stool coming?

I just visited his website and see there is a $10 per month membership if you like; have you joined?

I bought it before the current school process, but the process of making the templates is going well. I have been practicing carving with the Turbo Plane to get ready. I really enjoy using that tool.

Good luck on the build. I'd like to see pics of the progress. I think I will order the patterns.

Walnut is obviously the tried and true traditional species, but I can't imagine anything being ugly in Honduran mahogany...plus it'll be a dream to shape.  But have you seen what these things look like in curly maple?  Oh my lord...

9154204244_bd9f06fdba_b.jpg

• Like 2