Marc's Rocker

Coop

I'm not against laminating but don't think it would look right on this project.

Agreed.  The crest would definitely have to be the full 10/4 or I wouldn't consider it.  Even the coopered seat is hard to accept...even though the chair pictured is Sam's himself and that's how he did it.  Curly maple is super tough to grain match and I'd hate myself having any regrets about how it looked...after a project that requires so much time and effort.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, because if done well, the results are flat out stunning.  Far more impressive than walnut.  It's almost as if they're two totally different chairs.  Amazing how wood selection can so dramatically change a piece.

Managed to get all the sanding done on the templates today..  Now I've got a couple months to make my decision on species so I can put those templates to good use.

7SmWHO.jpg

Now you've got something to look forward to. Have a safe trip(s).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am using Marc's videos to help as build the Brock Bow Tie Stool. Not as complex as the rocker, but a cheaper way to learn some of the techniques. Anyway, I have the seat in the clamps. I am using some 10/4 poplar I've had around the shop for 8 or 9 years. Between Brock's site and Marc's videos, it is going smoothly so far.

post-5997-0-38407400-1433283214_thumb.jp

post-5997-0-53326100-1433283250_thumb.jp

post-5997-0-09294100-1433283276_thumb.jp

Is anybody planning on building with something other than walnut?

With the current price of walnut, im thinking H mahogany may be the way to go. It's only about $.30 more per bf than black walnut for me.

I was planning to go Cherry.  It runs about 1/3-1/2 the cost of walnut locally for me, and available in all thicknesses.  The boss lady wants it right infront a large picture window in our hearth room, so the UV beating on it, will age the cherry quickly for that deep, rich, red.

Though, this project is like #10 on the list, and I am eagerly awaiting the gaming table build, which will bump it even further down the list   :(

Some day though, some day...

I have made some progress on the Bow-Tie Stool. The seat is mostly shaped, I will refine it once the legs are attached, but I have not done any shaping of the legs yet. I used a Turbo Plane for most of the shaping.

I have learned two things:

One, be very careful about the direction of the curve on the front leg side profile before heading to the band saw. I thought I had been careful, but ended up having to make and fit a second pair of front legs. At least I got extra practice on fitting the legs and I can use the rejects to practice turning beads on the lathe.

The second learning is to be very careful in placing the dominos. It's probably not as important on the rocker seat since it's a little more "square." But on the Bow-Tie, be sure to trace the outline of the seat before marking the location of the dominos. The sweeping curves and round overs on this chair mean the dominos need to be well back from the edges. I found a couple while shaping the seat. This practice chair will be painted ( it's poplar), but if had been the walnut version I would have used many, many more bad words-some of them in foreign languages.

Time to drag out the rasps and start shaping the legs.

post-5997-0-90041000-1433957429_thumb.jp

I was thinking of using Cherry too, but the cost was not that much different here in Colorado.  I have always liked the way Cherry ages.  Maybe I will try and build the Bowtie chair using Cherry.

I will use Cherry when I eventually build the rocker.  However, next year is the earliest I would do so as I have several other projects in mind.  My primary goal is keeping my build calendar clear for the gaming table this september!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the practice Bow-Tie Stool completed. I am pretty pleased, a few flaws that I had to conceal, but I like the look. It's poplar I had in the shop dyed a dark walnut. The "real" version will be made of walnut.

For those on the fence about the rocker, it's a good test piece. You get to cut templates from plans, route from templates, make a seat from five boards to get a complex curved shape, you get to carve a seat as well as legs and backrest, and finally you experience cutting and fitting the leg joints. No lathe work or bending rockers, but it takes a lot less wood.

Anyway, I'll post photos of the final version. Like Marc has said, these sculpted forms are really fun to build.post-5997-0-73729200-1435418842_thumb.jppost-5997-0-15050400-1435418871_thumb.jp