This is not a roubo workbench...:)

shaneymack

That bench came out killer Shaney! At the risk of sounding stupid...What's the purpose of the Domino holes in the stiles?

Ah nevermind...found my answer. Makes sense.

===>> I put domino holes in the front of it to be able to support work pieces when clamped in the front t track

That bench came out killer Shaney! At the risk of sounding stupid...What's the purpose of the Domino holes in the stiles?

Ah nevermind...found my answer. Makes sense.

===>> I put domino holes in the front of it to be able to support work pieces when clamped in the front t track

Thanks!

Ya the domino holes are kinda like a deadman.

Love, love your bench and I plan to copy your design because it is EXACTLY what I have been trying to design on my own (and failing miserably).  I hope you won't mind my asking a few construction detail questions?  Of course, if you have any detailed plans I would gladly buy them from you!  :-)

• What were the dimensions of your torsion box?  I want to make sure I make my spacers tall enough that the Festool clamps don't bottom out.  Looks like about 3 1/2".
  • Did you use 3/4" MDF for the both the top and bottom of the torsion box?
  • With 4 casters, are you having any issues with the base flexing?  It sure doesn't look like it but I worried that with just 3/4" ply for the base above the casters that it might be a heavy load to carry.  I see some folks double up 3/4" ply or build a torsion box for the base but that seems like overkill so I thought I would see how your base cabinet design worked out.
  • If you were building again, is there anything you would change?  I know every project I have ever done I get done and say "Hmmm, if I was doing it again, I would......."

Thanks again for your great design!

Jim

Love, love your bench and I plan to copy your design because it is EXACTLY what I have been trying to design on my own (and failing miserably). I hope you won't mind my asking a few construction detail questions? Of course, if you have any detailed plans I would gladly buy them from you! :-)

• What were the dimensions of your torsion box? I want to make sure I make my spacers tall enough that the Festool clamps don't bottom out. Looks like about 3 1/2".
  • Did you use 3/4" MDF for the both the top and bottom of the torsion box?
  • With 4 casters, are you having any issues with the base flexing? It sure doesn't look like it but I worried that with just 3/4" ply for the base above the casters that it might be a heavy load to carry. I see some folks double up 3/4" ply or build a torsion box for the base but that seems like overkill so I thought I would see how your base cabinet design worked out.
  • If you were building again, is there anything you would change? I know every project I have ever done I get done and say "Hmmm, if I was doing it again, I would......."
Thanks again for your great design!

Jim

Thanks Jim!

You might regret asking for my plan and i sure as heck wouldnt charge anyone for this... post-16857-143570594201_thumb.jpg

Some things might have changed a bit along the way but i would be happy to help you in any way i can.

To answer some of your questions;

The frame inside the torsion box is 3". You could probably get away with less and not have a problem with the festool clamps. I have room en masse...

The entire torsion box is made of 3/4" mdf. Top, bottom and interior.

There is literally zero flex in this thing. If you look at the pics i took of the base you will see that everything is dadoed into the spine. No way that can move. Here is a pic with a 50" straight edge on the bottom. post-16857-14357063867_thumb.jpg

Might be hard to see but the is no rocking at all in the straight edge.

Honestly, there is nothing i would change. I love it. I will eventually change the handles to the ones i posted in an earlier post.

Feel free to ask any more questions, i would love to help you

Thanks for the response and the "plan".  Looks like my "plans" but actually the dimensions were very helpful.  One more dimension question:  what spacing did you use for the Domino slots on the front for your "deadman thingamajiggy"?

Glad to hear you have absolutely no flex in the base!

I know both the LV T-tracks you used and the Incra T-tracks will accommodate the Festool clamps but I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Festool clamps will fit in the 80/20 tracks:  Metric http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-5.asp or Fractional http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp ?

Once again, thanks again for a great design that I will be plagiarizing!

Jim

Thanks for the response and the "plan". Looks like my "plans" but actually the dimensions were very helpful. One more dimension question: what spacing did you use for the Domino slots on the front for your "deadman thingamajiggy"?

Glad to hear you have absolutely no flex in the base!

I know both the LV T-tracks you used and the Incra T-tracks will accommodate the Festool clamps but I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Festool clamps will fit in the 80/20 tracks: Metric http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-5.asp or Fractional http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp ?

Once again, thanks again for a great design that I will be plagiarizing!

Jim

Hey Jim,

I tried taking a photo with the measurements,not sure how well it worked out....

post-16857-143576790325_thumb.jpg

You could really use any measurements though. I just kinda winged it. First 3 or 4 holes were done with the indexing pins on the df700 and the others were done with the extension add on indexing thingy....

Hope this helps!

I just found my own answer to my question about 80/20 compatibility with Festool clamps so I thought I would add it if anyone else was curious.  Per a discussion on FOG, Festool clamps are compatible with the 15 and 40 Series of 80/20.  I haven't confirmed this personally so please test before relying on this info.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Shaneymack, finally getting ready to build my bench borrowing heavily from your design.  I saw that you put T-track only on the front of the bench but you did use two t-tracks-- one on the top and one on the side.  

Just curious, if you were doing this again, would you put t-track around all four sides?  Also, do you find yourself using the t-track on the top?  Would you recommend putting T-track both on top and on the side?

Shaneymack, finally getting ready to build my bench borrowing heavily from your design.  I saw that you put T-track only on the front of the bench but you did use two t-tracks-- one on the top and one on the side.  

Just curious, if you were doing this again, would you put t-track around all four sides?  Also, do you find yourself using the t-track on the top?  Would you recommend putting T-track both on top and on the side?

No i wouldn't put it on all four sides. I have not been limited in any way so far. I do like the t track on the top because the 20mm holes dont go as close to the edge. I find myself using both t tracks. The t track on the front is the most used as this replaces a vice.

Shaneymack, thanks for the advice!  I was going to order the 5/16" Lee Valley t-track you recommended and just wondered if I should go overkill and put t-track around the whole bench for maximum flexibility.  I am making my bench monster-size-- a full 4 X 8-- because I have the room and I am replacing a 4 X 8 table that I love using from all four sides so I may still go crazy and put T-track everywhere. Thanks again for your great design!

• Like 1

Shaneymack, thanks for the advice!  I was going to order the 5/16" Lee Valley t-track you recommended and just wondered if I should go overkill and put t-track around the whole bench for maximum flexibility.  I am making my bench monster-size-- a full 4 X 8-- because I have the room and I am replacing a 4 X 8 table that I love using from all four sides so I may still go crazy and put T-track everywhere. Thanks again for your great design!

My pleasure! I would love to see pics as you build. Post it on the project journal section. Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Jim. The Festool clamps fit in the Incra, and the measurements are very very similar so they should work fine.  On the Incra site the have the dimensions listed. If I remember correctly, the person that told me about the company said the Festool clamps fit. 

Edited by Woodenskye

The only stuff that doesn't fit in the Orange Aluminum tracks are the Rockler components.  I've never tried it in person but at least by the specs it's a no go. Incra and a lot of other stuff fits and of course just plain 1/4 hex bolts work.   

On that topic, I know this because I like Rockler's auto toggle stuff that works great in their t tracks and would like to use them with cheaper track... Seems like most other toggle clamps (vertical or horizontal) are screw down so you're left with some kinda wood piece to attach to and then ride on the track so it's always a bit taller. =(

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2015 at 3:30 PM, shaneymack said:

Finally done! post-16857-143544399315_thumb.jpgpost-16857-143544399886_thumb.jpgpost-16857-143544401057_thumb.jpgpost-16857-143544401347_thumb.jpgpost-16857-143544401646_thumb.jpgpost-16857-143544402713_thumb.jpg

Finished the adjustable shelves, sanded it all to 180 and slapped on a coat of danish oil. I am really happy with it. I think it will serve me well for many years. Only thing i will change will be the knobs eventually.

Next project, chest of drawers for my youngest daughtered

Well this turned out awesome....hoping to steal a few things from this build sometime next year when I replace my 5-minute-bench/outfeed/assembly-table, lol. Nice work Shane

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel. said:

Shane, if you have the time and the hardware, could you please check if the head of a 5/16" bolt slides easily in your t-tracks?

I currently have a Magswitch track attached to one side of my workbench and I'm using Kreg bench clamps, but I'm willing to get a couple of those Festool clamps, they look more convenient.

PMd you.....

• 8 months later...

This is a great looking bench, and a nice project journal!   This checks a lot of the boxes of what I'm looking for in a bench. I think I may build one myself.  Now if I only had an LR32. 

Thanks !

Here is a less expensive option to drill your own mft top.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk