Grizzly bandsaw or delta table saw

Decinder

Next tool I wanna get is one of the above. Wondering if anyone had thoughts on which would be best as I will have to wait a while before getting the other. Thinking the bandsaw is more versatile and would allow me to do more. Or a jointer is also possible but I think that one of the other two would be more useful. Mostly building smaller household items right now such as cutting board, end table, magazine rack, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rips: both work. Table saw rips are much cleaner, bandsaw rips are somewhat safer since it doesn't kick back and you don't have to worry about pinching the blade with reaction wood. The larger table on the tablesaw allows longer rips without outfeed or indeed support, but both need support for real long boards. The stock fence on my grizzly bandsaw is ok but not as good as a decent tablesaw fence.

Cross/miter cuts: table saw is much better. You can do it on a bandsaw but you're limited in length by the post. Sleds are much easier on a table saw.

Curves: perfect on a bandsaw. No go on a tablesaw.

Resaw: can be done on both. Bandsaw is generally preferred as it will give you a larger capacity, you lose a lot less wood to the saw kerf, and you aren't likely to burn the wood.

Joinery: depends. Both can cut tenons, though the cuts are cleaner on a tablesaw. Hybrid dovetails are fairly easy on a bandsaw. Table saw will cut rabbets, dados, tongue and grooves, and with a jig can do box or finger joints easy. Tablesaw has the edge here.

All in all I agree with most others that the tablesaw is probably a better choice. But if you mostly do curves, or primarily are a turner, or prefer to do most of the tablesaw jobs listed above with other tools then the bandsaw may be better.

• Like 1

I have a jigsaw already but haven't used it yet, but I am only on my 4th project. Saw a delta table saw at lowes for I think it was $550 that caught my eye, while I'm sure it's not great it seems better than some jobsite ones I was looking at and it will get me my jointer or bandsaw faster. As always thanks for all the great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That saw would work just fine for a lot of people forever. Some do things that just require more saw. It's not got a big motor but it will definitely work.

Like has been said, I love my band saw but absolutely not enough to choose it over a table saw.

The choice will depend on what you plan to build and your personal preferences. For my work a band saw is far more useful and versatile. I did without a table saw for a long time and would give it up long before the band saw. My table saw is mostly only used for cross cutting on most projects.

I am probably not typical in that regard though. My work is mostly musical instruments. Most people probably use the table saw more.

• Like 1

Ever since getting my bandsaw i hardly ever use my tablesaw.  BUT, I have a jointer and planer which allow me to take somewhat rough cuts off a bandsaw and create smooth edges and mill stock to identical dimensions.    My tablesaw is almost always set up for dado cuts nowadays.  

It's not quite apples and oranges but it's close.  It's like asking if you'd rather have a rook or a bishop when playing chess...depends on circumstances and need.

The table saw can do more joinery but the bandsaw can do a spectrum of cuts a table saw can't do.  I'm with PB...if you have a few hand tools and the skills to use them, an argument can be made that the bandsaw is a more versatile tool.  My unhelpful short answer: get both.

It's not quite apples and oranges but it's close.  It's like asking if you'd rather have a rook or a bishop when playing chess...depends on circumstances and need.

The table saw can do more joinery but the bandsaw can do a spectrum of cuts a table saw can't do.  I'm with PB...if you have a few hand tools and the skills to use them, an argument can be made that the bandsaw is a more versatile tool.  My unhelpful short answer: get both.

I'd rather have the rook all day long. Is the table saw a rook in this scenario? Must be.

To the OP, if your budget is $550-600, get your butt on craigslist!!! Buy a used contractor table saw (easily can be done for $250) and then buy a used 14" band saw. I see 14" band saws for $250-300 all the time, and I purchased my delta 34-444 table saw for $250. A lot of the decent entry level equipment sells for that price point. 6" jointers are usually around there. 15" drill presses are about that much. lunch box planers, once again....$250 is a magic price point it seems.

I'd rather have the rook all day long. Is the table saw a rook in this scenario? Must be.

To the OP, if your budget is $550-600, get your butt on craigslist!!! Buy a used contractor table saw (easily can be done for $250) and then buy a used 14" band saw. I see 14" band saws for $250-300 all the time, and I purchased my delta 34-444 table saw for $250. A lot of the decent entry level equipment sells for that price point. 6" jointers are usually around there. 15" drill presses are about that much. lunch box planers, once again....$250 is a magic price point it seems.

It is only rather crappier than the delta older craftsman saws I ever see on craigslist in my area.  With the Riving knife and more enclosed bottom to make dust collection at least possible I intend to get that delta soonish.