Worth bringing a sawyer in to make lumber?

-MattK-

When we put the new shop* in, we have to take out two trees.  My wife (via her best friend who's a professional gardener with the National Trust in England) believes the trees are locusts (robinia is was the expert has called 'em).  I check it out on Wikipedia - leaves and bark sure seem to be a match.

How do you judge whether you should hire a sawyer and turn it into lumber?  Or is just destined to be firewood?

The trees are pretty big - I seem to recall reading that you should measure the diameter at chest height... they're 62" and 48". 

Any advice appreciated.

Best,

Matt

Call and get a quote.  If you want the lumber, then that's what you pay.  If you want to sell the lumber then, that's what you get.

I know that sounds pretty simplistic but, that's what it boils down to.  Don't forget all your drying time etc..

If it's black locust be aware that it's a rather unique wood to work with. It is super hard, rivaling IPE, and can be a challenge for your tools. Be prepared to spend extra time sharpening. It is super durable outdoors. From what I've read locust fence posts can last nearly a century. My own experience is much shorter in duration but I've got a table that's been outdoors for about three years and, aside from color, appears to be in as good of shape as it was the day I put it out there.

On the other hand I understand it makes for really great firewood. I read somewhere that it contains as much thermal energy as anathracite coal.

TIODS has it quite simply put and 100% right. It comes to the gripe vs the grosse factor. Do you grosse enough wood that you want to deal with the gripe?

You also may consider bringing the logs to them instead of them Coming to you. My sawyer charges 1/3 if you come to him. That way he has the bobcat and loader for moving everything around.

• Like 1

It's about comparable to hickory in workability, though slightly easier to work, and slightly softer. I don't know about the "2 years longer than stone", but it's definitely highly durable for outdoors.

Words of warning: black locust smells like wet dog, when wet, apparently. It is also a pain in the but to dry - it tends to warp and split, which fits as it tends to be a bit knotty and gnarly, so cut your boards oversize.

Oh. And if you actually get some clear boards? I'd buy a few. I use it for martial arts gear for people who prefer lighter weapons.

How do you judge whether you should hire a sawyer and turn it into lumber?  Or is just destined to be firewood?

The trees are pretty big - I seem to recall reading that you should measure the diameter at chest height... they're 62" and 48". 

Any advice appreciated.

Are you sure that was diameter and not circumference? I've never heard of a 4 foot wide black locust before.  Granted, I don't see many old specimens in my area...

Are you sure that was diameter and not circumference? I've never heard of a 4 foot wide black locust before.  Granted, I don't see many old specimens in my area...

Exactly what I was going to ask. I've never heard of a black locust over 3 feet DBH and you're talking about 5 feet. Not likely.  But as circumferences, those numbers are quite reasonable.

Friend of mine just gave me a black locust fence post to process for my site. It had been in the ground 50 years at least and although it looks all gray and beaten up on the outside, what is inside is regular old black locust, maybe with just a bit more in the way of small splits than you'd see on 4/4 planks that had been properly dried.

On the other hand I understand it makes for really great firewood. I read somewhere that it contains as much thermal energy as anathracite coal.

I'll second this. We used to cut it anytime we could because it heated so well. Of course I'd hate to see a perfectly good tree it up for firewood when it could be used as lumber, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do :)