Shop construction progress

elrodk

I posted some planning questions a few months ago and got some good pointers. Thanks again for that.

We finally got started with the build and I thought I would spread the joy.

d2a41440e809d1954702bfa0627a65be.jpg

db274afdbebb0ab493d0f58cb627c831.jpg

Waiting on the inspection and then they pour the basement slab. My tools are asking every day "when are we going to the new shop?"

• Like 2

It's 34 wide by 30 deep. The basement will give me a about 8 1/2 feet clearance. The main shop floor will be 9ft walls vaulted to 14ft in the center. Sharing some space with my wife's stained glass studio I'll still have about 720 sq ft. Floor plan can be found at the post linked above. We have been saving up for a long long time and this is it.

DC ducts will go under the floor. I have a compressor/DC room on the main floor but I've almost certainly decided to move it to the basement. But I will enclose it and return heat/cool to the shop. It will be so easy to open the basement door and "mulch" the woods out back.

Awesome start and very cool to have a shop with a walk out basment. Why is there a 8" block panel on the back wall in the the fist pic, is this just because it is above grade or is there another reason , why not put the offset to the out side so you would not hat to deal with it on the interior?

• Like 1

Awesome start and very cool to have a shop with a walk out basment. Why is there a 8" block panel on the back wall in the the fist pic, is this just because it is above grade or is there another reason , why not put the offset to the out side so you would not hat to deal with it on the interior?

Yes. Below grade is 12" block with rebar and filled with concrete. Above grade on the back wall and right is 8" block. I think the offset to the inside is better. If it were outside water might get into the wall. It would not be hard to put some sleepers in to make a straight wall if I want to do that later. 

Great so far Ken and also looks to be set in the woods too.

From the plans I can see you are occupying the upper floor. Is your wife's studio going in the basement?

Ha ha. No way. She is letting me build this so she gets prime real estate. The room on the right of the top floor is the glass studio. Would be a great finishing room or bench room but we all have to make some sacrifices with our shops. 

post-1270-0-95262200-1415312857_thumb.jp

I'm floored. Really floored!

It's been a productive week. The LVL beam went in and then the floor trusses. Today they installed the rim boards and the subfloor. Tomorrow walls start going up.

There are some extra trusses where the table saw and other heavy equipment will sit. Subfloor is glued and screwed. I've got 8ft 9in headroom under the beam. The basement is better than I imagined.

ef04d26760222f7bdc32ea16ef81ee1b.jpga2ca23be9c69f19091d74dab8e73b3c0.jpgbec5bf212038fdbe329a9196c77c19d0.jpg329c418778612ac03284f26be4d74ec8.jpg

You had me puzzled when you said floor trusses. In Australia we call them "I joists". None the less, they are super strong and light to handle. Have you done any of the labouring for the contractor or are you letting him do it all? Looking nice and progress at this stage always looks impressive.

You had me puzzled when you said floor trusses. In Australia we call them "I joists". None the less, they are super strong and light to handle. Have you done any of the labouring for the contractor or are you letting him do it all? Looking nice and progress at this stage always looks impressive.

I've always called them floor joists..