Memorial Box for Friend's Golden Retriever

A friend of mine had seen a dovetail box I made for my parent's dog last year on Facebook and contacted me, said that she had to put her 14 year old golden retriever (Scooby) down. Scooby was an awesome dog, he was instrumental in me finally adopting a dog of my own after having grown up having dogs, but not having one after moving to Virginia. I agreed, and asked her what she wanted it to look like, what type of wood, or color of wood. Her reply was "make it however you want, make it look however you want, I trust it will be beautiful when you're done. If you could, make the wood a tannish color, similar to Scooby's coloring." 

Off I went to get wood, while thinking about the design. I selected Bird's Eye Maple for the sides of the box, and Sapele for  the top and bottom of the box. I decided I'd get a little creative, as I have wanted to do this for another one of my parent's dogs ashes that passed a couple of years ago, rather than that generic ugly box he came in. I wanted a contrasting inlay of a paw print on the top of the box. 

Wood selection

IMAG3231.jpg

After resawing and first pass through the drum sander, and a quick sanding with 80 grit on the 150/5

IMAG3232.jpg

I decided to use box joints for this one, been a while since I've done box joints. They are 1/2" joints done on the router table with a Multispacing jig from MLCS. 

IMAG3234.jpg

Another pass through the drum sander to get them closer to final thickness.

IMAG3236.jpg

Flushing up the box joints

IMAG3267.jpg

No project is complete without a little DNA. (While using my #80 cabinet scraper I happened to run my knuckles along the edge of the box on the wood.

IMAG3268.jpg

More flushing up. Makeshift work holding, I drilled some 3/4" holes in my tool bench that holds my Kapex to put some F clamps through. (Next project is a Roubo)

IMAG3269_1.jpg

Gotta trim the top and get it to the dimensions I want. Wanted to get a feel for size.

IMAG3271_1.jpg

Now the fun part!

Making the inlay template. A paw print. I go about this in an interesting way. I find what I want, or design what I want and then scale it on my screen to how big I want, and then trace it right off my laptop.

IMAG3286.jpg

IMAG3287.jpg

A trip to the scroll saw with some 1/4" MDF

IMAG3288.jpg

Roughly cut out and ready for smoothing the insides.

IMAG3289.jpg

Next up, oscillating spindle sander

IMAG3290.jpg

All clean

IMAG3291.jpg

Put some thin CA on the inside of the cutout to strengthen up the edges of the template (I plan on using this a few times)

IMAG3292.jpg

More to come later.

I've never tried Sapele and have seen where a lot of people like it.

Reducing and drawing the pattern direct from your screen and the use of the cv on your patterns are good ideas. I never cease to learn on here!

This is the first time I'm using Sapele, so far I like it. Tracing off the screen was out of necessity when I was doing the batman walking stick and needed the bat logo, and was out of ink in my printer. I had a ruler on my screen and was measuring the size on the screen then traced. Since then, it's the only way I will get patterns for inlays or logos. 

I used the Whiteside inlay kit. The 1/8" upcut bit sucks for hogging out material in big spaces. I used my chisels to clean them out after some material was cleared out.

Agreed..  I usually load of a straight bit after the edges are cut to hog out the material.  

Could you have just cut the outline, then switched to a larger bit and temoved the waste freehand? I've never used one of those inly kits.

There's ways to do everything. First inlay I did I used an exacto knife to trace around the piece I wanted to inlay where I wanted it. Then I used 1/4" upcut bit to hog out the material, then cleaned up the edges with the exacto knife, using it like a paring chisel. 

Haven't done anything monumental on this in a few days. On Sunday I leveled the top of the box with my block plane where it meets the top so that the top sits flush with no gaps.

I just milled the board for the bottom of the box, sadly the pieces I have aren't wide enough to meet my needs so I had to joint and glue 2 pieces to make the bottom wider than the top. 

Glued up and waiting until tomorrow for more to be done. 

IMAG3360.jpg

A little more done today. Waiting for glue to dry now. 91801c717f8c547ce633baea3e7f9529.jpg

b27bb5a2905ec44783251d51e7a33c37.jpg

Maker's Mark

7e9f5f549ba90e909acfd0f70722bc40.jpg

Complex glue up. Had to weigh it down so it wouldn't shift. Checked and rechecked, and checked again. Rather than rabbet the top, I made a piece to fit the box over it, and glue it in place. I will also be drilling through the bottom, and gluing some maple blocks with nuts embedded in them to hold the box closed to contain the ashes.

608dbb2ba65380a6143b24a1cef3752d.jpg

• Like 1