Memorial Box for Friend's Golden Retriever

Nicely done!

For the complex glue up you mentioned, I always clamp a carpenter's square to the base, make sure it's perfectly aligned to the pencil marks. That makes alignment a non-issue during glue up.

The problem with that is the chamfer on the base, and the piece I'm gluing on is only 1/4" thick so the square was getting in the way

Be honest, did you clean the jointer for the pic or do you have someone come in every night to clean your shop?

Tom, Did you get the electrically heat iron?

I keep my tops as clean as possible. My jointer is the dirtiest cast in the shop. 

I have the electrically heated iron.

So tonight was loads of fun. I kept trying to get the top of the box walls completely flat so the top would sit nice and flush. Block plane, smoother, disc/belt sander combo. seems I just made it worse and worse. So I finally gave in and did the tape the sandpaper to the table saw trick. Grueling, torturous, miserable sanding. I figured I'd keep track with my Polar Loop fitness band which I didn't put on all day. It measures motion, and to see if it was accurate, I counted for 100 strokes and it counted 100 strokes. I can't believe how low on full size sheets of sandpaper I am. I've got plenty of 220, 320, 400, 600. I managed to find 1 piece of 80 grit gator red resin paper, which surprisingly lasts a long time. 

6377 strokes in about an hour. Makes you a sweaty mess. Tomorrow morning I'll pick up some more sandpaper so I can finish it completely. 

Here's some of this daunting task.

Tom I have corrected this issue by taking very light passes on the planer, sending it through diagonally and beveling all the edges before each pass.  It's risky on an almost finished piece of course, but I got to the same point you did where I was just making it worse and worse and just figured screw it I need to get this done.  It worked very well.

Ok, break from the Roubo for some odds and ends of finishing the box before putting finish on.

You would think putting the bottom block on after attaching screws would be a better idea. Was interesting doing that with an angle screw driver and an off set head.

78e31d0a4d47d661e24ab0fc01dce122.jpg

I need 1 3/4" screws to attach the base to the box. Before I can put the finish on.

c7de2d070b22ffbcb36e5c3ccfa0ce3a.jpg

It's obvious a lot of time, effort and craftsmanship when into the box. Very well done !

A urn I turned for my Aunts Boston Terrier was placed in her casket when she passed a couple of years ago. I thought that was a very nice touch. Our 4 legged friends really do add a lot to our lives.

• Like 2