I got wood

Tom Cancelleri

I still need to wait for the Benchcrafted hardware to get here. In the meantime, I'll rip the 10-11" wide boards on the bandsaw so I can mill them on my 8" jointer. The boards I got are 9-10 feet long and are 9/4. This will be the biggest lumber I've worked with to date. 

As far as the leg chop goes though, I need to find some 12/4 cherry, unless I can laminate for the chop. 

Great haul tom. I've got a sad wood story from today. Went to answer a cl ad for 200bf s&b cherry @$2gbf a bd 100 bf of flame birch @ $2/bf. Drove two hours and the guy had it stacked under about 100 10/4 x12"x12' mahogany and walnut for sale. Said he wouldn't down stack it unless it's being sold. . I had told him in email I was coming to take all the cherry and birch. . Quite an irritation. Glad your haul was better.

Lots of commercial lumber suppliers consider curly to be a downfall. Unless it's heavy on the entire board it stands a good chance to be passed over. Cabinet shops and manufacturers prefer clean white Maple, as soon as it has color on both sides it's used as paint grade.

Looks like you got a good deal !

Apparently in the mid atlantic they are known for having some of the nicest figured maple. When they go through the boards and sort them based on the amount of figure in the board, anything that might have a knot or some sort of defect, even if it's at the edge they put it in the bargain bin. They had a piece of poplar 18" wide by 10 feet long by 6/4 for 20 bucks, 6 BF of 5/4 white oak for 12 bucks. My dad picked some up to replace the slats in their park bench they have in their backyard. 

The soft maple was pretty much the standard price for around here. I don't usually feel good about spending 650 bucks on 199 board feet of soft maple, however I do love the workability of soft maple. I also appreciated that their 8/4 stock is 1/4" over to account for milling and being able to possibly get a 2" thick piece after milling.

Apparently in the mid atlantic they are known for having some of the nicest figured maple. When they go through the boards and sort them based on the amount of figure in the board, anything that might have a knot or some sort of defect, even if it's at the edge they put it in the bargain bin. They had a piece of poplar 18" wide by 10 feet long by 6/4 for 20 bucks, 6 BF of 5/4 white oak for 12 bucks. My dad picked some up to replace the slats in their park bench they have in their backyard.

The soft maple was pretty much the standard price for around here. I don't usually feel good about spending 650 bucks on 199 board feet of soft maple, however I do love the workability of soft maple. I also appreciated that their 8/4 stock is 1/4" over to account for milling and being able to possibly get a 2" thick piece after milling.

That's awesome they are over sized. 3.06 a bf would be good around here. I priced out 8/4 ash and soft maple a bit ago. They were 4.11 and 4.06 respectively.