H827w. HVLP

trz

Is it or isn't it?

I bought one from grizzly a number of years ago,it doesn't say hvlp on the gun but the manual does.

I've seen the same gun advertised as HVLP amd just "gravity feed".

So, is this an HVLP gun or not?

It is the only spray gun I've ever used and when i got it and read that hvlp guns were supposed to deliver Less overspray I must say I was quite disappointed, ive always had what I would consider a lot of over spray. But, I can't really compare it to anything else because it's the only gun I've ever used.

If I buy a gun that actually says HVLP on it am I going to notice a big difference?

There are numerous HVLP threads here on WTO --- I've contributed to at least a dozen... Please, Google is your friend....

Because this stuff can be rather confusing, I’ll give you some starting points for research...

HVLP is simply a method of atomizing and delivering a coating - along with LVLP, RP, AAA and about a dozen others... RP and AAA are the going-forward systems for coating delivery leaving HVLP relegated to toning. The transition will occur over the mid-term...

Gravity-fed describes the coating transport mechanism from container to atomization chamber... There is also syphon-fed, production and one or two others. To add to the confusion, higher-end HVLP guns can provide pressure-assisted transport... Gravity-fed is a common transport for low-end HVLP guns...

So the H827 is a gravity-fed HVLP gun...  I have no notion of the type of coatings it can shoot, build quality, etc...

Thanks Triple H.

I understand it's a gravity fed gun but not so sure about its being HVLP. There's a lot of guns out there that look identical and some are advertised as being HVLP guns , others are not. So how would one know if it's truly an HVLP or not?

The marketing info that I found with Google says it's an HVLP gun, so shoot some coatings and see...  BTW: if you haven't purchased the gun yet, then don't. The MSRP is about $60 and that doesn't get you much in the way of build quality...

Ahhh, I get it...

Two ideas...

First: What is the air supply? Turbine? Shop air? What are the regulator settings?

And/or

Second: Not sure where you’re located, but I be there’s a woodworking association, club, etc and/or finishing courses at the local Community College, Vocational School, etc. I’ve found local woodworkers always willing to help... There are web-based registries of woodworking clubs – here is one:  http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/woodworking-clubs-directory.aspx... How about a local Woodcraft or the like? When you hookup, you can go hands-on with other guns/systems.