filling divot in table top between layers of finish?

jimmyhopps

Last summer, I completed the build of my kitchen table top, and finished it with 3 coats of gloss enduro var.  Its a birdseye table lightly darkened with transtint antique maple (over Charles Neil's pre-stain).  Took plenty of advise on this site in the process, and it looked great!  

I hadn't yet built the trestle base and i knew it was going to take me a while, so i just placed the table top right on top of the old table in the kitchen.  About 5 days into its use, my 2 year old made a series of small divots with the bottom of a metal spoon - i knew this was going to happen sometime, but didn't expect it sooo soon!  

Roll forward to today, the trestle base is now done and i'm going to dye / finish the base, and while i'm at it, put a final coat of semi or satin on the table top itself.  My question is what if anything i can do with the divots?  I don't have time to strip the top down, and know it will only get a beating again, so looking for a shortcut.  

I was wondering if putting a drop of Enduro on each divot and letting it dry would fill it in - maybe after a handful of drop/dry cycles it would fill in??  Given that i need to do some sanding of the original top anyway before putting on the final coat (which i need to tint darker also), i was hoping that the filled in divots would be hidden somewhat.  you probably would still be able to see the divots which would be ok with me, but at least the depression of the divot would be gone and it would be all flat again.  the divots really catch the light and stand out (another reason to switch up to semi or satin (if the kids fingerprints weren't enough!)).

any thoughts on this?  again, looking for something relatively easy w/o refinishing everything.  Another idea was a drop of epoxy in each divot.  Again, given the sanding i need to do anyway, a little overage on the edges of the divots shouldn't be a problem.

Many thanks guys.

My initial suggesting would be to sand out the entire top removing all the finish.  Then use the iron/steam to see if you can pull the dents out.  If you're going to tint the finish, this should also make it more consistent with the base.

I really don't think I would try to build up finish in the dents..  If (and that's a big if) I were going to try something like that, I would probably do it with epoxy and then sand back which would mar the original finish anyway.

Yep.  I have a two year old and four year old...I'll be waiting until they're in college before I start thinking about repairing/refinishing any of my pieces.  If you start chasing your tail fixing everything, all you'll do is chase your tail.

If your not happy with the answers above, which I tend to agree with, kids are kids and will probably happen again :(

Give General Finishes an email. EnduroVar is a different animal. You may be able to drop fill, you may not. They may have a trick. Let us know what they say.

-Ace-