Wiping WB Poly

MikeC999

Hi Marc,  I get great finishing results using your "simple varnish finish"  On my current project, a changing table/dresser,  my daughter-in-law requested a painted white finish.  I'm using Benjamin Moore Advance paint (satin) brushed on.  On a sample I tried putting a couple of coats of GF High Performance Satin Poly for extra protection.  I wiped it on and it seemed to work nicely.  Is there a reason I shouldn't wipe it on?  GF doesn't seem to recommend that as a method of application.  Using WB poly to get a clear coat over the white paint.   - Mike

I've been wiping on waterborne finishes for a number of years now without any issues. GF recommend spray, brush or foam brushing but if you add a drop of water (absolutely no more than 10% - I add about 1 or 2%) you are good to go with the wiping technique.

I have sprayed and foam brushed WB finishes over paint with good results. Like Terry said a very small amount of very clean water may help. Old house w iron pipes, well water etc may add minerals and possibly color so use bottled, distilled or filtered water.

After several thin coats I will sand very lightly with 320 or 400 grit especially on tabletops. Be very careful near edges and corners ! Easy to sand thru. A red or gray abrasive pad works on moldings and round parts like legs. Again very lightly !