Formica delamination

While working in the shop yesterday i noticed that the formica on the top of my outfeed/assembly table has delaminated and has popped up. Have any of you dealt with this, if so how?I was thinking of drilling two holes and injecting some epoxy and clamping some bow clamps across the top for good pressure. I would prefer to not have to drill through the formica but it would be the only solution i can think of, unless maybe the contact cement can be re activated with heat? 

Solvent squirted from the edge, I use a glue bottle (clean new one). Tease the edge open w a slim putty knife. Lacquer thinner should work . Prop it open and let dry. Recoat with contact cement, let that dry, pull props and use a roller to apply pressure .

Solvent squirted from the edge, I use a glue bottle (clean new one). Tease the edge open w a slim putty knife. Lacquer thinner should work . Prop it open and let dry. Recoat with contact cement, let that dry, pull props and use a roller to apply pressure .

The problem is that the delamination is in the center of the table. The edges are intact. It is about 24" in from the edge...

What comes to my mind: consider adding a couple of t-tracks to your table. They may come in handy for hold-down clamps and since you will have to route a dado for the t-track, you will have a chance at fixing the formica problem.

That is a good option Daniel, i will give it some thought. Although with the workbench im currently building im not sure the extra t tracks will only be redundant.

I see. Other option would be extending your table saw miter slots to the outfeed table. It's a common practice and will also help with your problem.

They are extended. Unfortunately the section that failed is not close to the slots that i routed. Im thinking the only feasable option other than redoing the entire top is drilling some holes and injecting epoxy.

If it has delaminated in the center and has any sort of bubble then it may have changed shape.

It may not be possible to repair it properly, or, as the discussions indicate, not easily.

Might be worth considering the alternative: Take it off and replace it.

If it has delaminated in the center and has any sort of bubble then it may have changed shape.

It may not be possible to repair it properly, or, as the discussions indicate, not easily.

Might be worth considering the alternative: Take it off and replace it.

You might be correct. I think i have nothing to lose at this point by trying to fix it. It might not be perfect but it would save me from wasting time working on an outfeed table that otherwise could be spent woodworking.

I use a lot of laminate in my business, and I've peeled it off of a lot of stuff. Acetone, dribbled in the gap will dissolve solvent based glue, and a heat gun pointed in the gap will soften the glue. Lift it up and use a utility knife to slice the glue as you apply pressure lifting it up. Don't try to wedge in a bondo knife or anything, or it'll just ball up the glue and make re-application difficult.

I don't think you'll have success drilling a hole and adding glue, At least not long term.