Insulating the shop door

Tom Cancelleri

I hope it helps you/me, as I did the same thing this past winter. I'm thinking of also adding an a/c unit for the obvious and to keep nosey neighbors out. I didn't think of using the ts, but used a box cutter to cut the panels.

i had overhead door put on a new insulated garage door a couple years ago, works great winter and summer, I'm with you coop, not going thru another hot summer without AC in the shop, and maybe i can work in peace unless those neighborhood engineers can hear me in there

Just throwing this out....not sure how much weight this added to your door?  

I insulated my garage door with a fiberglass kit from the box store. I have an electric garage door opener. My garage door spring had broke so I  called a repair guy out to replace the spring. After bull-crapping with the repair guy. He said it's good to readjust the spring for the added weight. If you don't, it will tax your electric door opener and all sorts of bad thing can happen :wacko: 

-Ace- 

• Like 1

Having replaced these springs, the standard is ten lbs plus or minus. Ten to fifteen lbs of upward force to open the door to halfway, where it finishes raising on its own. The same to close it to halfway where it selfs closes under fifteen lbs of force. This is fairly easy to evaluate by disconnecting the electric opener.

Adjusting a torsion spring is dangerous. I have done it but one slip can lead to disaster. There is so much energy stored just waiting to bite you.

I think I would add another layer of foam over the frame and panels. Bevel the edges to allow the door to roll up.

Adjusting a torsion spring is dangerous. I have done it but one slip can lead to disaster. There is so much energy stored just waiting to bite you.

I think I would add another layer of foam over the frame and panels. Bevel the edges to allow the door to roll up.

You ain't kidding brother! Have a professional do it.

-Ace-

The added weight is very minimal, 3-4 pounds at most. The garage door opener has a motor power adjustment as well. It's closed cell foam, mostly air.

I need to do the same thing, how much did that run ya?

12.65 per sheet. I used 3 sheets for my door, thought there was a fair amount of waste due to the size of my panels and the board not being divisible by 3. I also used Liquid nails to glue it to the panels. 

• Like 1

I ended up doing the Owens Corning fiberglass. It was more expensive than the rigid panels but at an R-value of 8, was a better insulator than even the 2" rigid. In my 3-car garage, the single door was fine with the added weight but the double door didn't like it. I had to make a service call to have the springs adjusted.

The Owens Corning kits state that they cover a single-bay door. I had to get four to complete our 3-car. $300 for the insulation and another $100 for the service call... ouch!