porter cable speed bloc 330

treeslayer

so after reading some reviews i bought this sander, PC330 speed bloc, says it takes PSA paper (it does, but rips the pad to shreds when you take the sandpaper off) its great at rounding off sharp corners ( even if you don't want it to <_<) the problem is the pad isn't hard enough to remove even the smallest planer marks, or flush sand slightly proud dovetail ends. its great for sanding between coats of finish but i would like to know if anyone makes a replacement pad for this sander thats more firm or some DIY fix so i can use it for all tasks, my wife says i can have a festool or mirka but i have to get a part time job first to pay for them :wacko:, thanks for the help

Based on the amazon reviews it looks like a good tool.   Maybe someone will enlighten me, but I really don't know what a 1/4 sheet sander is best suited for.  I think a random orbit sander is better suited for removing machine marks or light stock removal.  you don't need to spend a fortune.  Even the $30 Black and Decker will likely do a serviceable job.  The dewalts and Porter Cables are about $50.   Heck, you can probably find one at a garage sale or pawn shop for $10.    Buy decent paper and you will be fine.   

I have one that hasn't been used in probably a decade. RO put them out of business. They used to sell different density pads, but I haven't looked in a long time. I never saw one with a PSA pad. I used regular 1/4 sheets of sandpaper on mine for probably 30 years. It has the spring levers on front and back, and isn't much slower to use than PSA.

yeah coop, ups fees would kill us and we wouldn't get much done. ace, using porter cable PSA paper but i don't think the pad is really meant for PSA paper as it tears so easily on matter what i do. i think I'm going to try a DIY hard rubber pad and see what i can come up with, i do have a RO sander that i use on most tasks and maybe the PC will just be used for sanding between coats of finish