Is this a good price?

roadmutt

Every time I go to Kiem lumber I think I should buy this. But I just can't bring myself to pay that much.The piece is 9" by 32" and 6/4. It is really a nice shade of green. Seems really heavy for all the bigger it is. Anybody ever worked any? oh it is Lignam Vitae Green and $399.99post-16602-0-56329300-1432217717_thumb.j

I think it is one of those woods that is valued for its properties (i.e. very hard and slick when polished) rather than its looks.    wood is a commodity product, do the math on its bd ft price and compare.  Either it is a good deal or it is not.    It is not like it is a wide figured slab that is hard to value. 

Meh.  It's an interesting piece but I wouldn't pay four bills for it.  If it were a true rosewood or koa...different story.  Maybe.  I never found Lignam Vitae to be all that amazing.  That's just my opinion.  There's only one person that matters...if that piece is worth $400 to YOU, then it's worth $400.

You’re paying for the 6/4... If it was 4/4, the price would be half that...

The big question is why... I’ve only worked G-LV once and probably won’t again... I know the Aussies laugh at anything as soft as LV, but once I get to the high-J tropical and desert hardwoods, the time spent on sharpening runs me a bit thin. I keep a healthy selection of tropical rosewoods for pulls, accents, etc.  with Snakewood (J3800) about as hard as I want to play. Anything beyond that get's to be work...

If you’ve got a project needing the 6/4... But for inventory... I’d take a pass...

If you’ve got the urge to invest in lumber, I’d load-up on burls, the tropical rosewoods, etc before they are banned completely... Most of my stuff was harvested before I was born... Get it while you can -- once it’s gone, it’s gone...

• Like 1