Long Figured Wood

Okay this should be an easy one for all you much more accomplished woodworkers.

I bought a 4/4x10"x10' piece of Flame Birch. My question is should I mill the board as one stick or should I cut it down and mill it as needed.

I am assuming that the figure on this board will not be consistent along the entire length, and if I cut it down before milling I could cut into a heavily figured section accidentally "ruining" some of the figure.

I will be using this for drawer front/accent pieces and/or maybe a box or two.

I am probably over thinking this, but I think that is part of why I love this craft.

If it were mine,I'd be dying to see to see what it looked like under the ruff stuff. Then set it aside in one piece and cut it up as you need it or as the grain dictates. When you do run it thru the planer, post a pic.

==>an easy one for all you much more accomplished woodworkers

Actually, it's one we all struggle with -- what to do with a pearl of great value... or stick of great potential...

First of all, you’re not going to do much with a 10’ stick – the odds of keeping thickness over 10’ is rare – doable, but rare... You'll have to make some educated guesses at those first few crosscuts... But to help improve the education...

I’d skip plane it enough to expose some grain at the high points, but not enough to thickness the stick... You’ll be forced to make some educated guesses at this point – it happens to all of us (except St. Bruce). Think about the project, then take a stiff wire brush and block plane to where you think the components live...

Now that I think about it, Mike Pekovich did a video on getting the most from a single nice stick: http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/115620/single-board-side-table
It might be behind their paywall...

Crosssut for the most visible first: top, drawer fronts, side aprons and/or panels... That's about 80% of the 'wow' factor in a project...

But one thing... You will screw-up a bit -- everyone does --- I've never taken a rough stick to perfect components the first go -- maybe you will, but... Just accept it and don't get frustrated...

==>an easy one for all you much more accomplished woodworkers

Actually, it's one we all struggle with -- what to do with a pearl of great value... or stick of great potential...

I don't struggle...those boards go up in my racks and they're labeled "too nice to use."  And that's where they stay.

Otherwise, yeah, do what these guys said. ^^^

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great advice to everyone. I am going home from work today to skip plane this bad boy and see what I got.

I have already hit it with a hand plane on one end and it looks like I might have gotten lucky with some nicely figured spots.

I will post up some pictures (if I can figure out how), once I get some time in the shop.

Hit it with a hand belt sander first of all to make sure you take the crap off the top layers to see what you have.

I would then cut it to the approximate lengths I needed after first of all examining it for knots/flaws and cutting them out - some people like knots of course and they can be stabilized with epoxy. Leave enough on each board for snipe removal and mill away.

Put the board away on your rack, forget about it for 2 or 3 years.

Then one day when your finnaly cleaning your shop re discover it and tear into it.

Thats what usually hapens to me.

Oh and in the mean time deny yourself the pleasure of working with a nice peice of wood by going

to the local diy store and buy some over priced crappy wood and try to make chippendale furniture with it.

:D  Good luck

==>hand belt sander first

Wow, blast from the past --- I gave mine away so long ago that I forgot they even existed... Do you find much use for it?

I use mine all the time for that... sometimes I even (hold your nose!) use my Bosch power planer to take a first pass at rough 8/4+ material 

I use mine all the time for that... sometimes I even (hold your nose!) use my Bosch power planer to take a first pass at rough 8/4+ material

I have an old black and decker belt sander, from back when black and decker was a good brand. It's a beast, that thing will eat a board quick!

==>my Bosch power planer

Had one of them to... Maybe it was Makita... Forget... Same guy who got my belt sander (that was a Makita) also got the planer --- traded him for a couple of cases of B&P sporting clays shells...

Remember the good old days of NYWS? Norm used one on every project, “Now we flatten the panel with a belt sander”... Usually right before, “We’ll just tack this in place with a couple of brads”... Pop... Pop... Pop... Pop...

Wonder how many folks ‘followed along’ and ruined a perfectly good table top...

But I agree, if you've got a belt sander, it's a good way to expose the grain on the high spots... Those hand planers would work as well... I'm not actually sure I ever used mine...

Back to the @OP... How's that stick looking? Any photos? We'll be all to happy to tell you what to build from it... :)

No Pictures yet....I would have needed some shop time to get them, but I will try again tonight.

*mini rant*

4 days off work and only about 2 hours in the shop and half that was to sharpen the lawn mower blade.

Stupid responsibilities getting in the way of my fun.

No Pictures yet....I would have needed some shop time to get them, but I will try again tonight.

*mini rant*

4 days off work and only about 2 hours in the shop and half that was to sharpen the lawn mower blade.

Stupid responsibilities getting in the way of my fun.

responsibilities suck!