Delta 10" Table Saw Vibrating

Barry Gilbert

I have had my table saw since 1997 and never had any problems with it. In the past couple of weeks I have noticed more and more that it vibrates when it's running. It's worse when I am cutting at an angle. I even noticed the motor mount is bent. (I am not sure if it is supposed to be that way but I can't imagine way it would) I put some washers behind one side in an attempt to straighten it out. (Helped some but still not true.) When I take the belt off and just allow the motor to run it is smooth as silk. What is there that could be out of balance? Could it be the blade? The belt? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will try and post pictures.

Barring some sort of trauma to the machine, Shaffer's suggestion of a bad bearing is a very good one.

Another possibility is if the motor pulley is not aligned with the arbor pulley.

It is possible the arbor has been bent, but have you changed the blade to be sure the blade itself isn't the culprit?

I have had my table saw since 1997 and never had any problems with it. In the past couple of weeks I have noticed more and more that it vibrates when it's running.

It's been ok....something's changed. if there has not been 'an event' like some major thing that happened that you can put your finger on that would cause a break or bending of a bracket or something like this, then something is causing it to progressively get worse.  A bolt backing out allowing something to mis-align or wobble or the belt is beginning to shred.  If your belt hasn't been changed in years, give it a once over.

• Like 1

Mine is a Jet contractor saw, maybe 20 years old.  Ran a link belt on it for a lot of its use, but have had a one piece belt on for a while.  Am not a pro, so its bearings are not worn.  

It was getting a little wiggly with the old straight belt.  Picked up a link belt at Harbor Freight and all is now smooth as silk.  They sell a five foot length for about $25.  You will throw away 1 of the 5.  Look for sale coupons.

• Like 1

My Delta of the same vintage is starting to vibrate more, maybe we can figure it out. A link belt does help a lot.

- Rick M, sent via Tapatalk

I had the same issue with my delta contractor saw, checked the belt but it looked good no cracking or signs of wear. I racked my brain as the bearings seemed good to me. Long story short I changed the bearings in my motor and still the same issue. I changed to a linked belt and its gone. I found out that the non liked belts hold their shape and the belt was no longer round but oval causing the vibration at high speeds. Try and rotate the saw blade by hand if there is a spot where the blade gets harder or easier to spin or tries to rotate backwards I would bet that a new belt will help if not solve the problem.