My Jet Mortising Machine

collinb

So far ... I like the holes it makes.

But what I don't like .. that rear fence, or should I say fence-to-bit/chisel, registration is funky.  I get jagged edges as the piece moves along. 

So ... I thin what I'm going to do soon is build an alignment block so that the chisel and the base are always in alignment. 

Other than that nuisance, for what I do such a bench-top machine is perfectly suited.

I have the same machine you align the chisel bit to the fence, slide the fence to the bit loosen the chisel bit not the drill bit fuss around until the fence and bit are square with one another.  

Yes, and the problem is that one has to "fuss" with it.  My desire/plan is to minimize or eliminate the fuss.

Besides, there seems to be no precision to the fence alignment.  The way it's built I don't trust it.

Then again, we are talking about working with wood rather than doing precision metal work.  Even so the more precision the better.

I have a delta that is a similar design. It's pretty easy to set the fence maybe I'll make a video. Takes seconds to do

T Can.....don't know if you've ever wanted to BE a hit man.............but your photo looks like you could be on the Borne Identity.

On my Powermatic, I just place a 2x2 block along the fence, adjust the fence back and let the block square the chisel.