New Guy from KC - And a Question about Non-Wood Materials

Greetings all.  Brand-spanking new member from Kansas City, MO here.  I'm not a particularly prolific woodworker.  When I was younger I did a stint as a finish carpenter in new construction to make ends meet.  That basically means I now use a regular pencil instead of a lumber crayon, and I no longer use a waffle-faced 22oz Estwing.  That's as far as I am willing to commit.

I have a project in mind where at least part will be comprised of 3/4" HDPE.  I got to thinking about it and even though it's slightly more expensive, I wondered if the whole project could be done in that material for giggles and grins.  The only part I am concerned about is a "C" shape, 8" deep and across the opening, which will be in compression across the ends - a guitar string will be stretched across the opening as a cutter (think: cheese cutter).  A quick sketchup of what I mean:

post-17943-0-92046500-1432391371_thumb.j

Other similar projects I have seen have used 3/4" Baltic Birch.  I don't know of any source of good BB here in KC (although if someone has one I'm all ears) so doing a prototype in all HDPE may be cost effective as well as interesting.  Obviously (I think) the big question is the strength/rigidity of the HDPE.  Anyone care to make a guess about whether or not it will be a good choice?

While I'm posting, a completely unrelated question:  Can anyone direct me to add a signature?  I went through all the obvious (to me) places and did not see an option.

Thanks for reading.  This looks like a very nice place and I'm glad to have found it.

post-17943-0-92046500-1432391371_thumb.j

Welcome to the forums...a great place for woodworkers!  We are glad you found us.

I don't know much about HDPE, so someone else will have to help with your HDPE questions.

To set your signature just click on your name at the top of this page (or any page), then select "My Settings" and then "Signature" (from the left menu)  and type whatever you want as your signature.

• Like 1

I use G-10, G-11, G-10/FR4, et al for these types of applicaitons. Laminates are very rigid and allow a great deal of tension for something like a large cheese slicer -- or similar tensile applicaiton... You get the regidity of aluminium (but thinner and lighter) with the workability of BB --- but at the cost of Cocobolo... Oh well, you can't have it all... If you only need a small sheet, I've got a modest stash sitting around just consuming space, but you won't get it until November...

Here's an overview of sheet materials...   http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3652/=xb1hgq

BTW: can certainly relate to the avatar...

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums...a great place for woodworkers!

Well, I'm glad you let me in anyway.   :rolleyes: 

To set your signature just click on your name at the top of this page (or any page), then select "My Settings" and then "Signature" (from the left menu)  and type whatever you want as your signature.

Got it! Thanks. I was SURE I checked there previously. Was probably too obvious.

I use G-10, G-11, G-10/FR4, et al for these types of applications.

Aha! A way to build a better mousetrap! Thanks for the tip, never thought of those. I have used them for scales before.

ETA:  Sweet fancy Moses!  The price .. well you did imply it was expensive.  

Sorry you lost me at "non wood materials".....lol

I knew it was a gamble. Since I regularly see the two combined in some craft-type projects, I thought I might try.  :D

Well, I'm glad you let me in anyway. :rolleyes:

Got it! Thanks. I was SURE I checked there previously. Was probably too obvious.

Aha! A way to build a better mousetrap! Thanks for the tip, never thought of those. I have used them for scales before.

I knew it was a gamble. Since I regularly see the two combined in some craft-type projects, I thought I might try. :D

I was just being an ass....you can ask anything here!! Whether or not i am helpful thats another story.

You can make your own laminate/composite material. It's basically just layers of cloth glued up with epoxy and clamped in a form. Decent epoxy isn't cheap, but if you've already invested in some for other stuff it may be a way to get the material you need with minimal new out of pocket costs. Just google how to make micarta and you'll find plenty of results.

You can make your own laminate/composite material. It's basically just layers of cloth glued up with epoxy and clamped in a form. Decent epoxy isn't cheap, but if you've already invested in some for other stuff it may be a way to get the material you need with minimal new out of pocket costs. Just google how to make micarta and you'll find plenty of results.

I need to be careful that a hobby which needs me to make something else doesn't turn into another hobby which turns into another hobby.  Sort of dangerous that way.   

HDPE is going to bow under any tension on your wire.

I went and looked up some engineering info on the HDPE and I found the same thing.   :mellow:

Oh well, it was just an aesthetic/challenge thing, with a little bit of laziness.  I'll use the right material for the job.

Making your own laminate is doable (but very messy).

Before going that route...

A 12x12x0.5 FR4 would be about $25... There are sources for factory 'seconds' – maybe $10. DigiKey used to sell it in their ‘hobby’ section... Not sure they still do, but the cosmetic seconds have to go somewhere...

I live in Overland Park. Woodcraft Has BB ply. I usually go to Metro Hardwoods in your neck of the woods over in Independence. Not only BB ply, but nice overall selection of hardwood. Great guys that I don't mind supporting.

Awesome, thanks for the tip"

Making your own laminate is doable (but very messy).

Before going that route...

A 12x12x0.5 FR4 would be about $25... There are sources for factory 'seconds' – maybe $10. DigiKey used to sell it in their ‘hobby’ section... Not sure they still do, but the cosmetic seconds have to go somewhere...

Thought about that - it would introduce a new issue, torsion/twisting.  I guess I'll stick with hardwood/plywood.

???

The higher G-series laminates are way stiffer than any plywood I've come across...

Oh it definitely is for comparable size.  If it were just the compressive strength I needed then 1/4" would be more than enough.  That thickness in a "cheese cutter" C-shape would torse and twist a little though and that's also something this application cannot handle.  It's not for cheese; just like a cheese cutter.  The cuts it will make need to be accurate.

What is it, a home circumcision kit?

I'd think about it like a chop saw - you would want the same assurance of a straight, repeatable cut.  I don't like being obtuse, but this may represent a potential marketable product and I am too new here to know who is who and what's what.  

I don't want to give the impression I'm just here to mooch from you fine folks and make money off it - that's not who I am.  I'm not looking to "make a profit" from woodworking.  Most of the products on my list of "to-do's" are honey-do's.  As a matter of fact I only have one item which would potentially be for sale and we're talking Etsy, not Walmart.  More than a few of the projects are tasks to make more jigs to make more stuff. :)

• Like 1

Well, to get more stiffness, you could look at engineered honeycomb laminates – the VacuPress guys are into this sort of thing... You could also contact Gougeon’s ProSet division – they do a lot of work with carbon fiber, honeycomb laminates, etc... Gougeon’s tech support has always been very helpful: 

http://prosetepoxy.com/

Good luck...

Well, to get more stiffness, you could look at engineered honeycomb laminates – the VacuPress guys are into this sort of thing... You could also contact Gougeon’s ProSet division – they do a lot of work with carbon fiber, honeycomb laminates, etc... Gougeon’s tech support has always been very helpful: 

http://prosetepoxy.com/

Good luck...

Cool stuff!  If I ever have to make a few hundred pieces that may work (I assume there's a setup charge.)

That yacht on the home page is pretty impressive in person.  I was on the little tour boat that takes you out and around Alcatraz and that thing came by at mach 40 or so.  The ironic part was, I was out there on Oracle's dime.  It's hard for them to portray themselves as humble sales people, looking to help me out, then have that thing come screaming by while I am rubbing elbows with the unwashed masses.

Was thinking they're very knowledgeable on engineered materials and quite helpful... Figured you could call them about what you're trying to build, and they could tell you what materials (or class of materials) would fit the build... They could also tell you how to make your own --- if that's the way you want to go... You'll get way better advice from materials engineering pros than a hobby woodworking forum... :)

Based on that you've posted so far, solid wood, plywood and/or engineered wood-based materials arn't going to get your there...

• 2 years later...