Please no, not another Roubo build thread

So I am in my shop and I'm looking at this ungodly big stack of lumber and I'm thinking, if only the Roubo was done and all this lumber wasn't in the way. So I said ok lets start milling some lumber, how bad could it be. 

I hear in medieval times instead of throwing people in the stockades, they just subjected them to milling 8/4 lumber for Roubo work benches.  

I setup some rollers for infeed and outfeed to support the wood as I held it over the cutter head. 

First couple of things I noticed... jointing 9-10 foot boards is brutal, I was sweating before I finished jointing the face and edge of the first board. So I increased the depth of cut to about 3/32" to speed up the process (nothing was sped up) it just made it harder to push the boards across the jointer. My table top is smooth and slick, however my jointer is only 2HP, so clearly I need a 60 HP jointer. Also there's a lot of downward pressure needed to keep those boards on the table. 

I got through 3 boards and I was uncontrollably sweating, so I had to call a friend. Friend's name is Guiness, and it's smooth and delicious. If I can mill 3 boards a day, I'll still finish before Benchcrafted ships my hardware. I would like to get the top laminations glued up, I can't see the rest of the build being this brutal as the legs are smaller pieces to mill. 

It's Miller time, and/or Guiness time.

IMAG3397.jpg

IMAG3398.jpg

Got another board done. Tomorrow is officially mill day. Gonna get all the boards milled. Bandsaw will be setup tomorrow for ripping to roughly 4 1/2" inches. Then off to the planer for much mess. I've filled 1 bag so far with chips from the jointer. This is my biggest project to date. 

IMAG3399.jpg

Those are some big ass timbers. What kind?

You think you're sweating now, wait until July when you spread that bark mulch!

The wood is 9/4 soft maple, though sold as 8/4. The wood is oversized so you can actually get 8/4 once milled. Though some of the pieces require more jointing then others. 

That mulch has been getting used slowly but surely. I hate yard work.

:lol: Mike.

Yep, lots of milling.  But it's all fun stuff after that.  BTW...this is the biggest project ANY of us have done, unless someone has built a house by himself.

It's a very gratifying build.  You'll start feeling all warm and fuzzy as soon as that front slab is assembled and you can fondle those condor tails.

They are a little slow to ship!  I've ordered a couple from them and I think they get a bit slower each time.

The cool thing is that you can download the instructions free so, it really shouldn't hold you up.

In other news, I've already filled 2 bags with chips from the jointer, and I still have the bandsaw and planer to go before the milling is done. I usually fill my dust collector once a month or so. My milling is usually one or two 4/4 boards for a project like a box or something.